Evinrude E10BALCRA: AC Lighting 4 nav lights OR Rectifier to charge 12V battery

D Boat

Recruit
I just acquired a 1984 Evinrude 9.9hp outboard model: E10BALCRA, AC Lighting rope start. So it is fitted with AC voltage feature supposedly putting out 300 volts AC. There is a plug in outlet on the LH rear side of the upper lower cowling that has a rubber plug cap the covers the outlet. The outlet is 3 prong male connector. I need to know how and what to plug in here to achieve:
1. power to boat navigation lights without battery. In doing some research I think AC lighting kit #584864 may work but not sure.
2. convert voltage to dc to charge a battery. I believe i need a voltage converter/rectifier and other hardware but don't know what.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
D.

Haffiman

Commander
Re: Evinrude E10BALCRA: AC Lighting 4 nav lights OR Rectifier to charge 12V battery

If possible install a simple rectifier, same as used on the el-models. Gives you an opportunity to somewhat charge a battery and keep an even voltage to your nav lights.
This one should do:
http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5709&ptype=&Engine=&Model=

Just color code match the yellow wires, the red an an additional ground to battery and you are ready to go.

D Boat

Recruit
Re: Evinrude E10BALCRA: AC Lighting 4 nav lights OR Rectifier to charge 12V battery

Ok, got the rectifier part # but don't know how to connect between plug and battery and what cables/connectors i will need.
Thanks again.

Haffiman

Commander

Mount the rectifier on the block, it is important that it is able to transfer the heat created.
Get a connector strip or similar.
Cut the wires to the plug on the side and connect with corresponding colors to the rectifier.
The red has to be extended to battery as well as a new ground cable from engine block to battery.