1991 15 hp evinrude dont see water pumping out

cirizarry10a95f

Recruit
I have a 15 hp evinrude from 1991 and had the impeller changed, brought it home and put it in a trash can fill with water. I just ran it and do not see any water comming out of the hole, just smoke. Anyone tell me if the motor has to be in the ocean for presure to help it out. Or is it supose to only be a bit of smoke or what? Im at a lost the mechanic told me I need to run it in the lake, which will put a bit of presure on it. Please tell me what is the right answer.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1991 15 hp evinrude dont see water pumping out

You can run it in a trash can, make sure that the water level is at least 1/2 way up the exhaust housing. Use a piece of weed wacker line and see if the tell-tale is plugged, sometimes a bug or something will plug it up. Is it actually overheating, can you hold your hand on the cylinder head for 3-4 seconds?

dazk14

Ensign

As Daviet indicated - you need adequate water height - except your overboard indicator is not plugged - you have smoke coming out.

It can sometimes take a moment to prime the system. You won't hurt anything running it cold for 15-20 seconds.

How was the tell-tale before you did the impeller?

Is it possible the impeller pin slipped out or you missed the water tube connection? Are you using the wide eared water tube grommet?

cirizarry10a95f

Recruit

well thanks and I had it done by someone and he was the one that told me I needed to take it out to the lake or ocean to try it out. I put it in a trash can but its not tall enough to go half way up. so gonna take it to the ocean near my house and try it out and see. I have a bit of smoke come out when I run it for a few mintues. Just worried about running it out there and blowinging the motor.

dazk14

Ensign

Was the water level in the can minimum 2" above the break between the lower unit and Mid-section? That's all you really need for testing.