Fubar

BlueBeast

Seaman
I broke the heads of the bolts holding on my lower unit. I was just trying to replace the impeller. Is my engine toast now?:mad:

1976 Johnson Seahorse model number 55EL76E, serial number E4473745

erwinner

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Fubar

No way. How many did you break? Hit them with a penetrating lubricant and go get an EZ out. They're not easy, but if you're patient and take your time you can get the broken bolts out by drilling a small hole in the middle, chucking the EZ out, reversing the drill, and going very slowly and straight. Or take it to a machine shop, shouldn't even be all that expensive.
Maybe some other guys here will have some good ideas too.
Good luck!

BonairII

Commander

Use a dremel tool and cut a slot in the bolt. Then use a large flathead screwdriver to twist it out. Probably going to have to use some heat and/or PB Blaster first to loosen the bolt if it's frozen in the hole.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Is the g/c on or off?? Don't use EZ outs to try and remove the bolts. If you break one of them off you're screwed. Can't drill them out.

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

when doing my wife's car struts i broke off the upper mount bolts...... real big P.I.T.A. i drilled in the center so and easy out would fit but did not put it in yet. i then used my propane torch to heat up the bolts then let them cool (about 15 -20 minutes). i did this 4 times to each bolt then put penetrating lubricant in and on them then the easy out and used a wrench to remove them.

i might add two tips:

1) gearcase should be off (probably not a problem)

2) whatever you do do not splash any liquid on the heated up bolts, this will increase there temper making them harder, jus let them cool down by themselves.

good luck

AlTn

Commander

recently did the same thing on a 25 hp...all 4 l/u to exhaust housing screws...you've now got studs...I shot a little pb blaster on them and ,using a ball peen hammer and a piece of 2x4 on the av plate, struck the top of the av plate side to side and front to back until a slight separation was present..used a sharpened scraper to hold the opening, kept wacking and moving up in wedge size until it separated enough that the l/u would slip off..to reassemble, heat the exhaust housing area with propane or mapp gas and twist them out with some vice grips

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

E Z out is a really bad idea, as mentioned above. The reason the bolts broke are likely:
a) motor is used in saltwater
and
b) last time water pump was done, whoever did the work didn't put either gasket cement or non hardening Permatex on the bolt threads

I'll bet the water pump fasteners will shear also.

I would take the LU to a machine shop to get the remains out.

cdn-pk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wilde1j, i have to agree that when ez outs break it makes a tough job harder. i broke off and ez out on a brake job once. i had to remove some of the hardening with heat and a torch then drill the sucker out.

the old school way of just drilling them out would work too.

make sure you're centered and slowly increase bit diameter until you can collapse the bolt wall.... being careful not to damage the threads. heat and penetrating lubricant will also help.

by the way i have a set of cobalt bits i uses for this stuff, definitively worth the extra money.

BlueBeast

Seaman

The lower unit is still on. I'm trying to take it off to replace the water pump. Ive been down the EZ out path before and its a pain. The only way I see getting those bolts out is drilling. The giant problem here, is on my outboard, there is no room for a drill or a Dremel. I need some kind of side ways drill. Here take a look.:confused:

Attachments

• SDC14840 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    SDC14840 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC14841 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    SDC14841 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC14842 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    SDC14842 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC14843 (600 x 450).jpg
    SDC14843 (600 x 450).jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
  • SDC14844 (600 x 450).jpg
    SDC14844 (600 x 450).jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0

fireman57

Captain

I don't understand if they are all broken off why don't you disconnect the shift rod and take the lower unit off? If only some are broken that means you can drop it over the broken ones and drill them out or take it to a machine shop. Looks like the lower unit went out before since they are two different colors. Use a non hardening permatex product when you put them back on so you don't have this problem again.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

What fireman said.
All all the bolts out? Under the trim tab? Drop it off and maybe there's enough left to get some vicegrips on.

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What fireman and rfn said...

The broken heads shouldn't keep you from dropping the lower unit. I would finish removing the lower unit. After that you can apply some penetrating lube to the broken screws. Let it sit for a while and soak in. Then see if you can grab the studs with a vice grip and try to remove. If they still aren't moving, apply some heat with a propane torch and try again. I have done this a few times in the past with success.

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sears also sells stud extractors that I used once to get some broken bolts out of a motorcycle wheel hub. They were red-loctited in. It worked very well. Just be careful with EZ outs. Ya don't wanna break one of those off. Heat, lube, heat, lube, take your time. If you drill them out, center punch the bolt first. They WILL come out. Patience is the key word here. Good luck!

BlueBeast

Seaman

The head of the bolts broke off on all four. I still believe the threads of the bolts are still holding on the lower unit. It wont budge. But is there another bolt holding the lower unit on under the trim tab? Im not sure on my model. There is another bolt under the trim tab. Is that the fifth bolt? Look

Attachments

• SDC14845 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    SDC14845 (1632 x 1224).jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 0

scooper77515

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Are these stainless bolts in aluminum holes?

If so, you may be screwed. Take it to a professional.

If not, disregard my statement.

Mixing the materials between the bolts and the areas they are screwed into often causes electrolysis which basically WELDs the to pieces together. No amount of force will release the bolts. You will destroy the part they are bolted into before you even start to loosen the bolt.

dazk14

Ensign

I am editing AFTER boobie below has replied.

The earlier 50 series definitely had the hidden bolt (which is what I originally posted for about 10 seconds).

However, as I recall that series did away with the hidden bolt.

Regardless. double check, but don't break the tab bolt.

It'll come apart, you may need to persuade it.

NO EASY-OUTS.

If you can grip the broken bolt with a vise grip and you've got a good torch, they usually come right out. The key is a mapp or better torch and knowing how hot the exhaust housing needs to be - it'll leave a burn mark.

If it can't be gripped, welding a washer and nut on is usually the next step.

If it's broken too deep, it can be drilled out with good bits.

If the threads come out with the bolt, it can be easily heli-coiled.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

There is a bolt under the trim tab. That's where OEM manuals come in so handy.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Looks like you still have a the bolt in just in front of the trim tab, that one needs to come out also.