1976 6RL76A Johnson outboard starting/pull cord problem..(photos added)

Etamaman

Cadet
Hello all,

I am new to the board, but have surfed here on occasion and found it very useful and decided I better join in.

I have a problem:
I replaced one of my cracked coils in my 1976 Jonson 6HP outboard. After replacing the coil and puting it back together, I can not hardly pull the starting cord without it moving my throttle handle.....wierd........I did not touch anything that has to do with the throttle that I know of. Every time I go to pull the starting cord, it makes my throttle handle go from the start position to the stop position. Never have experienced this before when replacing a coil.
If I hold the throttle position in start I can get it to run, but then it wants to move itself back to the stop position.
I have looked all through the linkages and everything seems to be in tact and operative.

Has anyone dealt with this issue and know how to resolve it?? I had to walk away from it for a while.

Thanks, Eric

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1976 6RL76A Johnson outboard starting/pull cord problem......

When you replaced your coils did you align the coils with the mounting bosses? It sounds like your coils are dragging on the flywheel.

Etamaman

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply Daviet.

Mounting bosses? IF you mean the metal bracket that mounts down onto the housing, they just have three screws with one end oblong to adjust the throw abit. Otherwise they are riveted together with no bosses on the bottom of the coil to line up.
It must be something small.....I just had to walk away for while.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Look real close where the coils screw down, there is a little boss or ear that the coil has to be even with. If the coil laminations stick out past the ears the flywheel will drag on the coils, is the paint polished off of the outside of the ends of the coils?

Etamaman

Cadet

Thanks.
I'm sorry but I do not see anything when looking close. Also, the coil is not painted like the old ones I took off. But I do not see any wear like it is rubbing.

It was hard to pull at first and then I set the coil back more and it pulled more normal. Now when I pull the cord it moves freely, but also moves my throttle control from start to stop.....wierd.

Etamaman

Cadet

I will post a photo after a while. Maybe that will help.

Etamaman

Cadet

Ok, here's some photos finally of what I am working on with a short video of the pull cord, throttle problem.

Just click on bottom blue colored link to view video.

IMGP3250.jpg

IMGP3251.jpg

[video]http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v207/etamaman/?action=view&current=IMGP3252.mp4[/video]

nwcove

Admiral

DSCF1580.jpgi agree with daviet, something under the flywheel is rubbing, and moving the timing plate. its more than likely that it is a coil set to close to the flywheel. this pic shows the boss on the timing plate, flush with the edge of the coil.

Etamaman

Cadet

Wow...thanks again for a quick reply. I will open her up again and recheck.
Thanks.

nwcove

Admiral

also have a CLOSE look for anything else that might be amiss, and showing signs of chaffing.

Etamaman

Cadet

Will do thank you.