The tilt on my 92 Johnson will only go up, it does not even try to go down!??

J Phishy

Recruit
Today on the water everything start out fine, but then the trim stopped working. Well up has always worked, but no down. When trying to put it down, there is no nose. Its just dead. The switch on the motor does not work either. Just the up. Whats wrong?

SirEnvy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: The tilt on my 92 Johnson will only go up, it does not even try to go down!??

probably a relay went bad. What kind of motor do you have?

bck419

Cadet
Re: The tilt on my 92 Johnson will only go up, it does not even try to go down!??

yep relay, you should have 2..swap them out and see if it only goes down. they are about 20 bucks ..hope this helps

Last edited:

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

earch for the part number interchange, alot of the relays are the same. i have some made by hella lights on my t&t. pep boys,advance auto parts,auto zone etc... i think i paid around $6-8 each. or just bring one with you there and match it up

J Phishy

Recruit

Where are these relays located?

J Phishy

Recruit

Thanks for the direction of the relay. Thats what it was. But weird thing is that the New OEM part would not work with the old GOOD Hella relay. But put the old BAD OEM relay in with the new OEM part and they work good. Weird! But thanks

Irishbri

Recruit

I am having the same problem (amongst others...deep sigh.....) Where are these relays located?

J Phishy

Recruit

I am having the same problem (amongst others...deep sigh.....) Where are these relays located?

When looking at the motor from the boat on the right side, there is a little black box about mid engine ( cover off). Mine had to screws holding cover on. In that box was the relays ( two square pieces). Pull them out and swap the relays around. Then you'll know if thats what it is. Cause now its going to do the opposite as before. I have zero skill or knowledge about this stuff and i did it. So don't dig to deep. There right there. Hope this helps you like the above people helped me!