I am geting closer....but I still need help, got a fuel issue.

jdwilliams1

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, I am getting closer on this old 1963 75HP Johnson.

It was not running a month ago. I have replaced the plugs, plug wires, bad cam on the magneto fly wheel, and I bought a carb kit and cleaned the carb.

The boat will idle nicely here at my home finally in a barrel, but I finally took the boat out on the lake today and it seems to have a fuel issue. I can still get it to idle nicely on the lake, but It is somewhat "sputtery" on acceleration and is very inconstant. If I set in the low speed carb adjustments then it won't start, If I open then too much it obviously floods. I can get it set so it will idle nicely but when I try to accelerate it does not have a nice smooth takeoff, It has a grumble sound and then while not even touching the throttle there is a sudden burst of speed. I have to knida ease it up in steps and , I push the throttle forward and there is a delay in acceleration, then I throttle a bit more and there is a delay again and then is speeds up after a delay again.

It finally hits top speed but after a while it starts to hiccup a bit and it really bogs down in turns.

One other thing, I am noticing small drops of fuel in the water behind the motor...what would be causing this...I guess it might be coming from the exhaust?

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

BonairII

Commander
Re: I am geting closer....but I still need help, got a fuel issue.

I just had similar hassles with my Johnson 80hp. Make ABSOLUTELY SURE that you have cleaned out every orifice in the carb. Mist the carb w/ premix while you are running on the water, if the motor starts running better...you have a dirty carb/fuel delivery issue.
If not, you might to do the link-n-sync on your motor. Also, look down your carb at WOT(motor not running) and see if your butterfly is completely vertical

jdwilliams1

Seaman Apprentice

Ouch, I just cleaned the card...maybe I do not so sucha good job.

Do you know the punchouts on the carb...what is behind those?

fireman57

Captain

usually tiny pieces of crap. they need to be removed and blown out. You get new ones in your rebuild kit.

jdwilliams1

Seaman Apprentice

What is the best way to get those pop outs on the carb out of their holes?

jdwilliams1

Seaman Apprentice

ok, the carb has been re-cleaned, and while out on the lake the motor runs better, idles nicely and has great acceleration from mid-speed to top speed, but there is still a hiccup, hesitation, and then the motor kind of acts like it catches up with the fuel or something. I do not see the fuel coming our of the motor as bad as it was any more.

So now I need to figure out how to get it to accelerate cleanly from a stop to top speed. But as mentioned, once at top speed I can bring it back to mid speed and then it re-accelerates nicely.

fireman57

Captain

Sounds like you still have some junk in a high speed jet.

jdwilliams1

Seaman Apprentice

Sounds like you still have some junk in a high speed jet.

Fireman, if that is the case then I must not be doing a very good job cleaning this carb.

I have broke it down and cleaned it twice in t he last week. Any other thoughts?