1969 25HP Evinrude Outboard

bull705

Recruit
I'm from Ontario, Canada and new to this site and any information would be greatly appreciated.

I just bought a Tracker Topper 1436 from basspro and it's rated for a maximum 15HP (4 stroke).

First Question: I've got an old 25HP that runs great and was hoping to use it on my new boat. Any input as to whether this boat could handle the weight and power of it? I know that 2 strokes are lighter than the 4's but would a 25HP 2 stroke be comparable to a 15HP 4 stroke?

Next Question: If I were to sell the outboard instead, what is an outboard like this worth? It idles and runs great.

Thanks in advance.

jbjennings

Captain
Re: 1969 25HP Evinrude Outboard

I believe your 25hp would be ideal for your 14'36" boat. I would definitely use it. I would try to be careful to accelerate gradually rather than sudden full throttle or the transom corners will eventually crack. I would also be careful when driving it with only one person in the boat WOT in a crosswind, etc. You probably won't even need WOT very often when alone.

It's hard to say what the value is since it varies by area. I would think a perfect running one with good to great appearance would be worth around $400-$650

soundchaser

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That 25 has the best hp to weight ratio ever. Like the captain says, It'll run that boat great, But be careful. That's a lot of motor to have in your hand. Make damm sure you put a kill switch lanyard on that engine.

bull705

Recruit

Thanks for the info everyone, I managed to sell it for $500. Then I ended up buying a mid 70's (not sure of the exact year) Mercury 7.5HP short shaft. Seems to running great so far, hopefully it'll stay that way.