Johnson 65hp 3 cylinder 1973, help Please

dazwitten

Cadet
Hi guys im a newbie to Speedboats repair etc, i purchased a 1960`s fletcher speedboat and restored it and brought a Johnson 65hp 3 cylinder 1973 at a good price, but i am having difficulty at understanding how to wire this up, it comes with the engine and throttle cable and lever etc.

i have took some photos hope this will help i have pointed and what im on about

engine pic one shows a square box but round at back, it has 2 loose red wires held in by a nut, do i connect a 12v + from the battery here ?
engine pic one shows 2 wires that look like they join with a fuse holder but no fuse it in, any ideas what fuse it is ???
engine pic two shows a loose black wire what look like it attaches near the gear linkage but been cut off so am i right in thinking that this needs to be grounded from battery ???

throttle pic 1 shows 3 wires coming out the remote throttle they are brown, red, black, so my question is where do these connect ?

throttle pic 2 shows 3 wires inside the remote throttle, there is blue, green and it is either purple or brown (not sure which) where would these connect?

i know these maybe simple question but i have not got a clue, im also trying to wire it to a kill swith on the dashboard but again have no idea??

Cheers for your help guysENGINE 1.jpgENGINE 2.jpgTHROTTLE 1.jpgTHROTTLE 2.jpg

dazk14

Ensign
Re: Johnson 65hp 3 cylinder 1973, help Please

Just to get you started.

If your motor is a 65hp, it is a 1972 with a hydro-electric shift and lower unit. You can post the model #.

Pic 1 - Yes
Pic 2-20 amp
pic 3- tough to tell - may have been added by previous owner
pic 4- power to gauges, maybe tach lead
pic 5- tough to see -possibly electric shift wires

You'll need the factory service manual... Evinrude or Johnson, only the color codes for NLA paints will be different.

$14 delivered... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Evin...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item19c80a530d

$19.50 delivered http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972...Motors_Manuals_Literature&hash=item1c1e2ca9d7

dazwitten

Cadet

So would the throttle unit need a separate power to it as well? Thanks for your time

dazwitten

Cadet

thanks again to all, but i still want to claify something, so the throttle assemble with gear change etc DOES NOT need to be powered directly from battery, so the only thing i need to power up is the engine with the picture i showed, does it need grounding anywhere ? if this is the case i will try later, cheers

jbjennings

Captain

The main cable coming from the engine to the controls will have power going to and from the controls through it. You should only have to hook up 2 wires to your battery for your engine to run correctly---a black ground and a red positive.
JBJ

dazwitten

Cadet

Brill, would the earth be the one that i show in the picture that has been cut off do you think ?

dazk14

Ensign

The pic is terrible...but no, that is not the primary ground.
As I recall, the battery ground is on the port side via an exhaust cover bolt with a built in stud and nut, but it's been 15 years since I have seen that model in the shop.

Did you buy the Factory manual?

dazwitten

Cadet

i have a manual on disc which the guy gave me, but to be honest i cant make no head or tale of it lol

dazk14

Ensign

i have a manual on disc which the guy gave me, but to be honest i cant make no head or tale of it lol

No one can...and the info is often wrong from Clymer and Seloc.

Now... This forum can lead a horse to water, but we cannot make him buy a $14 delivered factory manual that would save you a lot of headaches and frustrations.

Buy the manual, post some better pictures, and re-post additional questions more specifically and 1972 - the controls are completely different from a 73.

dazwitten

Cadet

the only reason i thought it was a 73 was because thats what the seller said, and i have a manual for 1 73 johnson 65hp, i cant find a serial anywhere either grr

dazk14

Ensign

the only reason i thought it was a 73 was because thats what the seller said, and i have a manual for 1 73 johnson 65hp, i cant find a serial anywhere either grr

No sweat. It happens all the time. I've seen that motor advertised as mid-80's before. There should be a welch plug on the top rear block. It's silver and the size of a nickel.

Do you have a factory 1973 manual on disc?

Are we sure it's actually a 65hp. Post a pic of the cover. It should be white with an orange ~3" wide stripe.

You are a shift cable short of being a 1973 or later.

dazwitten

Cadet

the manuals ive got most of the johnson on disc and there is a few in kinda date order, they are about 500 pages long each, i will look for that welch in a bit when i start on the boat again, the cover has been resprayed, but it was like a dirty yellow/light brown colour, with 65hp wrote on the sides

dazwitten

Cadet

Just a quick update after a full day on the boat today trying to get it running, i managed 2 after finding out one of the wires was damaged so replaced it, it is now running kind of, it takes a while to start and when it does it struggles to tick over so i presume this is a tuning issue, the gear linkage thing seems a bit off, i think the fuel intake pipe is letting in air so gonna change pipe tomorrow and see how it runs, but am thinking about taking it to a marine engineer to see if he can get it running sweet, also i noticed when i put the muffs on it did not seem to return any water, but i did only run it for about 15 seconds just in case, so hopefully book it in and see what they say, If u do have any advice please share.
Cheers again guys for all your help

jbjennings

Captain

THose hydroelectric shift 3-cylinders are not the one I'd like to start learning how to work on outboards with. The ignition on yours looks like battery cd. It also will have a timer base under the flywheel along with the usual stator, and a distributor cap and rotor. The carbs are easy to rebuild. They aren't hard to tune.
I would start by checking spark on all cylinders. Almost positively it will be nonexistant or intermittent on one or more cylinders. If so, take the flywheel off and clean the contacts on the distributor and rotor, clean and regap the points to .010 inches (I had good luck putting my points at about .009 inches. If the cd box is original, the wires coming out of it are corroded and the insulation is likely missing. You can get an aftermarket CD box from CDI for about 250 bucks. Then clean your carbs whether they need it or not. Replace all fuel lines. I would get the starter working good and see if it kicks out of forward when you hold the starter down. If it won' kick out of forward and go into neutral pretty quick, then something's wrong with the lower unit. It needs the driveshaft turning in order to make the oil pump in the lower unit generate enough oil pressure to kick it out of forward.
You may be wise to take it to a mechanic, but you can bet it will get spendy quick because he'll have to go throught the whole motor to get it right. The plastic retainers for the rod that goes from the armature plate to the throttle lever get brittle and will probably need replacing, too.

What gear linkage are you thinking of. Do you know whether it is hydroelectric shift or not? If it's a 60hp, it's probably hydroelectric, if a 65hp, likely not. '73 and above is mechanical, if I recall. '70 through '72 is hydroelectric on the 40hp and up, I believe.
JMO,
JBJ

dazk14

Ensign

What gear linkage are you thinking of. Do you know whether it is hydroelectric shift or not? If it's a 60hp, it's probably hydroelectric, if a 65hp, likely not. '73 and above is mechanical, if I recall. '70 through '72 is hydroelectric on the 40hp and up, I believe.
JMO,
JBJ

As I indicated in a previous post(s), he has hydro-electric shifting. It was last used in 1972 for that series. If it's a 65hp then it's 1972 as this is the only year for a 65 looper/hydro. If it's 60hp, then back to 1970/71. 1968/1969 hp 55hp H/E. The shape of the covers are very differnt in 68/69, but the OP's cover may not be original.