frozen 1957 johnson fd-11 update with pics

gianttweety

Cadet
I bought this outboard on craigslist along with a 5.5 cd-15 for $100. Sadly, although the motor is complete, it seems to be locked up. I pulled the plugs and squirted some seafoam deep creep in the cylinders and let it sit for a day with no luck. Should I try to torque the flywheel nut and try to free it up? Any other suggestions? I mostly wanted the cd-15, although I wouldn't mind having an 18 hp as well. I'm wondering if I may just have to sell it for parts. I was told the 18 had new coils, but I was in a hurry when I bought it and didn't check.

Last edited:

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: frozen 1957 johnson fd-11 help

I wouldn't put excessive torque on the flywheel nut. Use a flywheel turning tool and rotate the flywheel itself. You might be able to use a large screw driver against the recoil mount.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Tear it down. Even if you do manage to free it up with penetrating oil and brute force, any rust inside will likely cause the motor to self destruct in short order. Take it down to the bare crankshaft, inspect all bearing surfaces, replace as needed, clean out any carbon from exhaust ports and ring lands, hone cylinders and reassemble. Those are great motors and it deserves to get done right...

cajuncook1

Chief Petty Officer

Before you tear it down, please drop the lower unit and remove it from the motor. If the power head turns freely then for some reason your lower unit is lock up. A locked up lower unit will prevent the drive shaft from turning and thus mimic a locked up power head. The crank shaft can not turn if the driveshaft is bound up by the lower unit.

Bought a motor for cheap because the guy stated that the powerhead was locked up. The the lower unit was damaged and when I removed the lower unit the power head moved freely. That 25hp Evinrude 1973 power head had > 125 psi each cylinder. Now I just have to get a lower unit or gears and I am in business:D

Just a suggestion to consider.

lindy46

Captain

Before you tear it down, please drop the lower unit and remove it from the motor. If the power head turns freely then for some reason your lower unit is lock up. A locked up lower unit will prevent the drive shaft from turning and thus mimic a locked up power head. The crank shaft can not turn if the driveshaft is bound up by the lower unit.

Bought a motor for cheap because the guy stated that the powerhead was locked up. The the lower unit was damaged and when I removed the lower unit the power head moved freely. That 25hp Evinrude 1973 power head had > 125 psi each cylinder. Now I just have to get a lower unit or gears and I am in business:D

Just a suggestion to consider.

Ditto - I've had the same experience. Gears/bearings in the L/U may be rusted and preventing the driveshaft from turning.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, I wouldn't necessarily jump the gun and tear it down yet. Just last year I picked up a motor like this and same situation. I got it unstuck and it ran like a top. It had 100 psi in both holes. Don't ever underestimate the old 18's, especially in the 57 - 58 era. Those are tough old buggers and very strong runners. I would go as far as pulling the head, just to see how bad things look, though, if you can't get it unstuck fairly soon.

gianttweety

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice. I pulled the foot but the thing still wouldn't budge. So I pulled the head and exhaust plate for a look inside. The cylinder walls looked ok, but the cooling channels(?) looked pretty rough. I'm thinking the thing is beyond my level of expertise(minimal) so I may list it on craigslist for parts. Any advice based on these pics?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo-2 (2).jpg
    photo-2 (2).jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 0

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Yea. I would save it. It looks klike it just got stuck from sitting. Don't get rid of it. Mix some acetone 50/50 with some ATF and let it soak in around the rings for a few days. Take a small wood block to the top piston and gently tap on it with a hammer and it probably will start to work loose. Once you see it start to move, then dump some more Acetone/ATF mix on the pistons.

I'm willing to bet that you'll have a good runner there.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: frozen 1957 johnson fd-11 update with pics

yup. the acetone thins it out a bit to allow it to penetrate, then evaporates away. lots of folks swear by it.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

Do the pistons move, even a little bit, side to side? If so, then they are likely free. That leaves the crank bearings as the source of the "stuck". I'd still pull it apart - might find it is just gummed up, but then you'll know for sure. It doesn't run now - taking it apart isn't going to make it not run worse, and you'll gain some good experience in the process.

jbjennings

Captain

Do the pistons move, even a little bit, side to side? If so, then they are likely free. That leaves the crank bearings as the source of the "stuck". I'd still pull it apart - might find it is just gummed up, but then you'll know for sure. It doesn't run now - taking it apart isn't going to make it not run worse, and you'll gain some good experience in the process.

+1 from me. Chinewalker has at least half a million old OMC's and such. There are probably few people in the world who could advise you better. I own 2 FD-11's and love them both. Super good motors. Don't take any chances on ruining it. You will be very suprised if you tear it down at how quickly and easily it can be done. If the crank bearings/journals are fine, you can still take a look at the piston skirts and cylinders and repair accordingly.
Good luck,
JBJ

gianttweety

Cadet

Thanks for all the advice. I've been spraying the thing with pb blaster for the last week and it doesn't want to budge. I guess I will try to pull the powerhead apart when I get the time. It's too dang hot here right now.
I've bought way too many old motors lately. I really like the old fifties Johnsons and have been getting them pretty cheap in my opinion. I picked up a 54 5.5 with two pressure tanks for $150 today, but it seems to need new coils.