Ignition problem?

GatorMike

Ensign
My 1998 115 crossflow V4 has a problem that has been going on for over a year now, it's not a huge problem just an inconvienence that I would like to get straightened out.

Every now and then maybe once every half hour or so of running time I will be cruising along on plane and all of a sudden my motor will just shut off. It is like someone turned the ignition switch off, it is not a gradual thing it goes from running wide open to dead in the blink of an eye. There is never a problem restarting so it is not like it is going to leave me stranded but I am afraid eventually someone is going to get hurt when it powers down like this.

Anyway I have several old ignition coils laying around and have swaped them out with no effect, I reciently swaped out the power pack with a new one and still have the problem.

Have any of you ever seen this problem before and do you have any idea what might be causing it?

fireman57

Captain
Re: Ignition problem?

check you kill switch wire for fraying or grounding out. On the earlier models it is a black with yellow stripe. I think it is the same on yours.

hidef

Lieutenant

Pull the yellow and black kill wires and see if that cures it. If it does then you have a glitch in your wiring between the outboard and switch.

GatorMike

Ensign

Thanks, that makes sense. I will give it a try. Of course I won't know if it works until next time I take it out.