VRO pump/carb question

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all...I got some questions regarding the VRO pump. I have a 96 115hp V4 Johnson. If the oil side of pump fails, does the fuel portion side stops pumping fuel as well?

Also, for these VRO engines, does the carb get two separate oil and fuel lines going into them, or there's one line filled with both gas and oil going into each carb? I noticed one of my carb inlet lines got ruptured, leading to some scoring on that cylinder recently. Not sure if carb wasn't getting enough oil or both the oil/gas. Currently deciding if I should leave the VRO intact and just replace the carb lines.

Please advise...

clanton

Rear Admiral
Re: VRO pump/carb question

No, fuel may still be pumped. Oil and fuel mixed inside the pump.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

The reason the cyl got scored was running to lean due to lack of fuel/oil to that cyl due to the broken fuel line.

boater83

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The reason the cyl got scored was running to lean due to lack of fuel/oil to that cyl due to the broken fuel line.

Definitely makes sense. I was hoping VRO pump was designed smarter - cut off fuel when oil pump has issue, i.e. shut down pump. Guess not.

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

I was hoping VRO pump was designed smarter - cut off fuel when oil pump has issue, i.e. shut down pump. Guess not.

If there is an oil delivery problem, all the "VROs" for the last quarter of a century have a NO OIL warning system that sounds the same horn as an overheat does (pulsing on and off tone, not steady tone) or lights up a NO OIL light on the 1996 and later motors along with a warning horn.

Here is an article about how they work and the misconceptions about them that run rampant in the Internet forum world:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html