1999 Johnson 90hp - Fogging oil

philnblanks

Recruit
I have a 1999 Johnson 90 hp outboard and want to winterize it. I believe I know the basics; 1. Change lower unit oil, 2. add gas stabilizer and run through engine, 3. Spray Fogging Oil into carburetor while running.

My problem is Where do I stray that Fogging Oil?? Where are the intakes?

Thanx

fmalott

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1999 Johnson 90hp - Fogging oil

when the motor running spray in the carb just like you said open it up spray into the carb where the air goes in spray until the engine stalls then your all set

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Phil, that motor should have a black plastic airbox that fits over the 4 carbs. Look for 4 black rubber bands that hold it on, two on each side of the engine. You should see the carb intakes as soon as you remove the airbox.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Also, The motor might not quit easily, mine just bogs down no matter how much oil I spray directly into the carbs. Most people advise to disconnect the fuel line when you start spraying. That will do the trick.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Don't disconnect the gas line, as that will fill the carbs with oil. Certainly don't discummect the oil line, as that will require bleeding it.

If it doesn't stall after a liberal application of fogging oil, after she is smoking well, just turn her off.

ADK_Boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I take that back then. I didn't realize your model mixed the oil in before the carb. I use premix, so I can just simply pull the fuel line.
Listen to Chris1956.

ironhill

Seaman Apprentice

I just bought the same motor. Now I haven't seen this myself because I have only had it a couple of weeks or so but the guy who sold it to me said there was a fitting that you will see after you remove the air box that will deliver the foggng oil to all four carbs at the same time.

Can anyone confirm?

UPDATE:

I found a service manual for a 2006 which I believe is essentially the same motor and it does indeed have a fitting:

"Storage Fogging Oil ? Connect the can to its fitting
on the primer solenoid. Following instructions
on the can, fog the engine. After you fog the engine
be sure the primer solenoid lever is in the run position"

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

Yes, you will see a schrader (bicycle-tire valve) valve on the fuel primer unit, under the airbox. I normally don't mess with it, as it is real easy to spray into the 4 carbs (or six carbs, like I have).