67 Johnson 60hp revival

randyinwa

Cadet
Thanks in advance to everyone here.. :}

My predicament in trying to revive a 1967 Johnson 60 hp
Model VXL-13A
It's been sitting for over 10yrs inside, looks to be in good condition considering it's age...

What been done so far:

1. Compression 72-74 psi.
2. New points (2) (timed by marks/ohm meter)
3. Replaced coil that was leaking.
4. Have not replaced the condenser/cap/rotor/wires, they look pretty good considering their age and the price for 'em nowadays.
5. New plugs.
6. Tensioned distributor belt.
7. Checked synchronization
8. Cleaned carb (full of oil and not to much junk... don't want to spend the money on a rebuild kit.. yet... Starboard side slow idle jet looks to have been seated a bit tight / very slight indentation on 20% of the needle
9. Float has seen better days, but it does stop the bulb from pumping up and it doesn't seem to flood out etc...
10. Flushed out fuel pump (full of oil too)... seems to be operational. Ie: engine runs with inlet hose in a 5 gal can. (main gas tank needs new bottom, good thing my bud is a metal worker)

Running conditions:

First time running for a couple of mins. It would run at higher rpm's but would want to die backing off the throttle.
After a few days of sitting because of time restraints I tried it again..
Hit the choke n key and it fires right up
Fair amount of smoke.
Revs good buts seems it could run a bit smother at higher rpm's. Still smoking more than it should.
After warming up,it idles, but with a miss...still smoking more that it should.

See the motor running video here... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jL7K-pwHHXI

Closing the port side slow idle seems to have no effect
Adjusting the the starboard side slow idle SEEMS to have normal effect.

After running conditions:

Port side plugs look perfect
Starboard side upper #1 is dry black/rich, #2 is black/rich and somewhat wet even.
After the 2nd time running, I noticed some of what looks to be milky gear oil in the tub.

Plans:
Do a decarb.
A carburetor rebuild would be in order, (not much to it though ie O-rings n gaskets)
Replace carburetor float.
If all goes well, I'll set up a container to reclaim excess fuel dumping.... (my local Johnson expert says that they might have been smoking something when they designed this engine LOL )
Check lower end seals????

Read forums here :} for more plans.

Thanks
Randy