Trick to reinstalling lower unit onto motor housing on Johnson 6 H.P. Sailmaster?

bosshoff

Cadet
Is there some sort of "trick" to reinstalling the lower unit onto the motor housing? Specifically I am wondering about the shift rod. How do you position the rod to mate up with the handle and vice versa? Do you put the shifter in neutral, and then twist the shift rod to the middle position? Does his work? Do you put the shifter in the forward position, and then turn the lever clockwise or counter clockwise? This is where i am wondering if there is a servicemans trick to doing this. I was trying to keep the shifter in the middle, and get everything to line up, but it was not working. I will try again late today. Thanks.

GreenHornet763

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Trick to reinstalling lower unit onto motor housing on Johnson 6 H.P. Sailmaster?

from what i understand, you are putting the driveshaft back into the middle section. If so, i usually put it in reverse I think which lowers the rod pin to it's lowest point. Also when inserting the driveshaft, I always spin the flywheel and makes sure it goes it, you should feel it. Hope this helps

bosshoff

Cadet
Re: Trick to reinstalling lower unit onto motor housing on Johnson 6 H.P. Sailmaster?

Driveshaft was easy. The shift rod was giving me problems. I tried it in the middle position on the lower unit, to no avail. I then tried it in either reverse or forward, to no avail. I then tried it in the last position (reverse or forward) and I got it to slip right in. Go figure.