15hp afraid of lake

Xeenan

Cadet
Ok im a little stumped, I have a 75 johnson 15hp. It will start up and run great in the tank, But when I get it in the lake it takes me forever to get it started. It has all new everything in the ignition and carb. cleaned. What could cause this?

emoney

Commander
Re: 15hp afraid of lake

Are your start-up procedures exactly the same? A lot of times, we do something just a tad bit different on the water and that can sometimes be all the difference.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

It's an electrical issue. Out on the lake, the humidity is higher and problematic electronics will act up more. Check over all your ignition componenets completely.

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class

may be a dumb question but are you pushing in the key for the choke to work when you put it in the water

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens

How about how you tow ? Motor raised ? Lowered at lake ? Gas tank unhooked ?Left hooked up?tank setting in full sun ? emoney spot on
and after 40yrs with 2strokes I'd swear my on arm got larger till I learned how to adjust carbs and what to listen for . That lady in the old honda commerical that they alway start on the first pull her one arm was as big as my thigh !

Rick.

Captain

Big problem or little problem, I'm not sure which. Open your slow speed needle a little more (richen it). There is more back pressure on the exhaust when your at the lake. Is your motor elec. start or rope? Either way I would open the slow speed 1/4 turn at a time until it starts easier then fine tune it after it's warmed up. I like your heading. Bought a fly line once and the package said it was "hydrophobic". I've always wondered if that's the reason I bought it. LOL. Not a good quality for an outboard though. Best of luck.

Rick.

nwcove

Admiral

does it sit as deep in the tank as it does on the boat with you in the stern? like rick said.....probably more back pressure at the lake. try to reproduce the water height you would see on the the leg at the lake, at home in your tank.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

I have a Yam 50 that likes to be all trimmed all the way down to start, especially if it hasn't run for a week or so. Something to do with the level of the fuel in the carbs/bowls I guess. We often have to start it in shallow water and tend to have it kicked up a little, but it doesn't like it. Maybe that's the difference on yours.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You replaced/rebuilt a whole bunch of parts all at once.

Sometimes fixing what ain't broke breaks something.

Sometimes redoing stuff, like carbs, is like buying new shoes that don't quite fit.

I generally disapprove of mass replacement/rebuilding of stuff that is working.

If you feel you have to put your outboard in all new clothes, test it out after each change before you do the next one.

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i had the same issues with a 6hp it was my carb... needed a rebuild. once done she ran beautiful

Xeenan

Cadet

OK the model is 15R75C so it is rope start. I think the two that suggested about the exhaust back pressure might be on to something, cause I only have the water in the tank right above the exhaust ports. Not all the way up the motor leg. I will just have to fine tune it in the lake.
and thank you all for giving answers to my confusing question.