water pressure guage

hello I have a 1995 johnson oceanrunner 200
on a wellcraft it has a water pressure gauge on it what should it read? at idle?and during running I think it will depend on the rpm as to what the psi will be but at idle it should be something right?
I just had my power head rebuilt and am being cautious about everything it took a big chunk out of my wallet.
the mechanic says the gauge is shot when it went in for the work it worked fine. I think he's setting me up for more work you would think he would have checked every thing out after I committed to him working on it for me another mechanic had negative opinions with him.I just figured he was trying to get my work.
any way I put low pressure air on the hose going to the gauge and it registered. any thoughts?
I see the tell tale stream and for some reason it just don't look as a full stream should,am I being to cautious?:confused::confused:

Re: water pressure guage

On both of my engines ('81 J-90 and '90 J-200) I see somewhere around 5 psi at idle and up to around 20 psi at speed.

When's the last time the water pump was serviced? If it's been more than 2 or 3 years I'd seriously think about replacing the impeller and maybe the entire water pump housing.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Rebuilding the powerhead has nothing to do with how good or bad water pressure is since it is the water pump impeller in the lower unit that develops pressure. The better question is WHY was the engine rebuilt? What caused the failure?? And after the rebuild, did the carbs get rebuilt as well because there is a good chance those are what caused the failure in the first place. If they are not rebuilt it may be you get to do this all over again. Ask questions sir! And if the impeller was not replaced in the last couple of years, do it now.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

My '98 Johnny 150HPV6 pegs(30+PSI) the gauge at high crusiing speed. It has about 12PSI at fast idle.

Rebuilding the powerhead has nothing to do with how good or bad water pressure is since it is the water pump impeller in the lower unit that develops pressure. The better question is WHY was the engine rebuilt? What caused the failure?? And after the rebuild, did the carbs get rebuilt as well because there is a good chance those are what caused the failure in the first place. If they are not rebuilt it may be you get to do this all over again. Ask questions sir! And if the impeller was not replaced in the last couple of years, do it now.

It over heated after this guy did a rebuild a year ago(july 2010)he rebuilt it under warranty this july (2011) so now i'm into him for another year as far as the warranty goes. I am going thru a new break in period again.I asked him why it over heated he had no answer.so I am taking it on myself to ask here and seem to get more answers than with the "mechanic".I am however in the process of calling another mechanic but have to do it quietly as to not void my new warranty.I just want the new mechanic to go over and take a look and give me his opinion.( he has givin me what he thought of the guy I used already.) Man I hate being in this position.
Thanks to all for your help guys. I am looking to install a water temp gauge is this something that I can do? I am mechanically inclined I have rebuilt car engines and am an electrician by trade I know my way around a motor.Just out boards are a new thing to me I have a Seloc Manuel .

Thanks to all for your help guys. I am looking to install a water temp gauge is this something that I can do? I am mechanically inclined I have rebuilt car engines and am an electrician by trade I know my way around a motor.Just out boards are a new thing to me .

Since you're a capable shade-tree mechanic it won't be a big deal to service the water pump yourself. If you can't definitively say that the impeller has been replaced within the past 2 or 3 years I'd definitely be doing that.

I have a Seloc Manuel

Take that Seloc manual and use the pages out of it to wipe up any fuel or water that might find their way into your bilge and get yourself an OMC factory service manual.

dazk14

Ensign

Since your mechanic did not know why it overheated, he pulled your thermostats. That would explain the poor low rpm pressure.

During the original rebuild - did he rebuild the carbs AND replace the water pump?

Having a poor opinion about another mechanic/shop is the norm in the industry - so don't get too excited.

Your original mechanic did stand behind his work...It is not uncommon for warranty work to be unethically denied via the usual, "Water in fuel or debris in cooling system".

Adding head temp kits is very straightforward.

:)Thank you guys the info is great!I will be going at the temp gauge this weekend.
as far as the other mechanic bad mouthing I kninda know this is true seems it is a common occurrence with most trades.
and yes he did honor the warranty it did take longer than I expected but he did.
He al ways has a shop full of boats to work on that's got to mean something.
Also I will look into an OMC book to.