50 HP 2005 Johnson Started and ran good for first 500 Ft.

davidebby

Recruit
After start-up and warm up, ran engine for 500 feet at 3/4 throttle. Engine slowed and stalled. After many attemps I got it started again but it would not run faster than idle. Would stall if I tried to go faster. While heading back to the dock it seemed to improve some but not wanting to trust it I trailered it home. I've checked gas, lines, squeese ball and cleaned inside plastic fuel filter. Any suggestions? I am new to this forum. Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 50 HP 2005 Johnson Started and ran good for first 500 Ft.

Is this engine new to you? I would start by checking the spark and compression, easy and free to do. Those engines will run on one cylinder pretty good. If they are OK, move on to the fuel delivery system, make sure fuel pump is working properly. Most likely you are going to have to overhaul the carbs if they have not been done lately.

davidebby

Recruit

Is this engine new to you? I would start by checking the spark and compression, easy and free to do. Those engines will run on one cylinder pretty good. If they are OK, move on to the fuel delivery system, make sure fuel pump is working properly. Most likely you are going to have to overhaul the carbs if they have not been done lately.

Yes, I purchased the engine New and I have been the only owner. I cleaned and set the plugs. This is the first problem I have had since new except for having to replace the tilt/trim motor. How should I go about checking the fuel pump? It seems to me the trouble acts like a "fuel flow problem". Thanks

hidef

Lieutenant

Is this a 2 stroke or a 4 stroke?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Can you post your model number so that we know what engine you have?

hidef

Lieutenant

Time to clean the carbs by the sounds of things.