Blown Rod!!! 1954 evinrude fleetwin 7.5

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I finally got the carb kit and took her to the lake to set needles. Ran fine and pured like a kitten then all of a sudden. chink and it banged to the side. so long story short i blew a rod and would like to know where or if they're still available or if im dead in the water. I already have $250 into this motor and feel it might not be worth it. What should i do?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Blown Rod!!! 1954 evinrude fleetwin 7.5

Hole in the crankcase too? If so, it's junk.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Luckily theres no scoring or holes in the cylinder. there are some scratches in the crankcase. so what would you do?

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Where exactly did the rod blow? Crankshaft end, wrist pin end or broke in the middle?

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The rod blew at the crankshaft luckily it didnt get pushed through the case. I think i found a part but need to know if the 1955 evinrude fleetwin 7.5 is the same as the 1954 as far as connecting rods go.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

What's the journal on the c/s look like on the rod end??

seahorse5

Rear Admiral

The 7 1/2hp outboards were only made for a few years and they did (and still do) have reputation for breaking connecting rods. Normally the culprit is over-revving due to a worn prop, suddenly broken shear pin, or coming out of the water. They also with their brass bushings inside the crankcase they require at least a 24:1 mix and I think the early ones were 16:1. Sounds like you were lucky, get a new rod and watch those rpms. The 5 1/2 had many fewer rod problems, though they did happen for the same reasons over the years.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, you may have to replace both the rods and the crank. Make sure you mic out the crank before you put it back to use. Truthfully, the old Fleetwin was a good motor, but the killer of it, was the users. All Fleetwins should not runn on anything less than 16:1 24:1 is okay, but only for a motor that idles more than WOT. A lot of good 5.5's and 3's have died the same way. Too many idiots who try to be boaters kill a lot of fine classics, unfortunately. Oddly enough, I have a 1970 4hp Lightwin here that I rebuilt for a guy (who hasn't paid me after 2 years) that got the crank and rods destroyed, by too lean of an oil mix. Ahhhh, it happens all the time. What I think is funny, is there are still a lot of old TD's still running out there, because the directions say to mix a 1/2 pint per gallon with the gas, but later they decided to say it was okay to run 50:1......even on motors that were built the same as the old TD's. What the Hell??

Oil is the cheapest and most important thing you can put in an outboard.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

okay thanks for the info everyone, the journal is a little scratched but I was thinking of using some emery cloth on it. I dont want to replace the crankshaft due to the amount of money Ive put into it already. However if theres anyone who wants to help out the younger generation I'd accept:D. Unfortunately zephyr, I'm one of those idiots. I added two gallons of gas to top it off and forgot to add oil too. Im boggled that after running less than an hour not at WOT it blew. I suspect some previous neglect from seller.

jbjennings

Captain

codykoke,
there are 7.5hp powerheads cheapo on ebay pretty often. That's the route I'd go if I were you, unless you lucked out and found a crank with rods and pistons on it separately for cheap. If you want my advice, get on aomci.org, place a free classified ad, and let someone help you out. Don't be lazy, put the ad on there. It will be the best time you have ever spent. THere's also an "askamember" forum for everyone there. You may look in the classifieds on aomci.org and find the parts you need there.
Here's one I found: http://www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1313106940/0#0
Good luck,
JBJ

Last edited:

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Looks like you got lucky on that crank. It may be a little more cost effective to find a new pair of rods with pistons. If you do happen to find a powerhead on fleabay, it may cost a bit to ship. If you do go with the powerhead, make sure you go with the 54 - 55 model years only. The 56 and up model years were a slightly different design of motor.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

okay i will check those sites out. Need to know if the rods for a 1954 are part #277401 or 277196 found both when looking for parts

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

Well, according to the parts list I find on marineengine.com, the 277401 is the correct number, but that may have been revised to another number. I would try Sea-Way Marine for your rods and pistons. Since you tore it down already, how do the pistons look? Is there any scoring? If not, then you should be able to use the originals.

codykoke

Petty Officer 3rd Class

pistons look fine but the rod that blew took a small chip out of the piston skirt. is that okay or does it need replaced. I posted an add on AOMCI and found a guy that can sell a used rod for 25$ but on ebay I found a Nos for 30$. im leaning toward ebay, mostly cuz i dont know how to buy from a guy in texas.

jbjennings

Captain

I'd get a new piston. the piston skirt helps generate crankcase pressure to charge the cylinders. I looked on the auction site and there wasn't crap for a 7.5hp as I'm sure you noticed. It seems the parts supply is drying up on the auction site. 2 or 3 years ago there were absolutely tons of parts there. I'm thinking that the auction site has driven away everyday folks who would sell their stuff cheap because it takes such a large percentage that it makes the trouble of selling stuff not worth it. I know that's how I felt. I'd darned near give away the stuff rather than let someone take such a large percentage of the profit for doing so little work.
Hope you find what you need. I have 2 good 7.5's, but no powerhead parts or I'd try to help.
JBJ

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

And yes, any of the rods from '54 to '58 will work in your motor...

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

If you can, try the AOMCI and see if someone has a good pair of rods and pistons. If not, a pwerhead. Sea-Way Marine is a good source, if you have to buy new. Their NOS supply is pretty good. Like chinewalker said, rods and pistons 54-58 but complete powerhead, 54 -55 only.