1987 Johnson 6hp carb issue - will not keep running

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
I'm the second guy to look at this motor (J6RCUD) - it will not keep running. I pulled the carb apart cleaned it (was not too bad) put back together. Seemed to run fine for a while yesterday then I tried it again today - same problem running supper rich, dieing out, smoking. I tried to adjust the carb no better. Makes no sense cuz yesterday it seemed fine. I have a hunch its the stupid primer choke assy. First I would like to know if its hooked up right. It has two lines on it. Does the big one go to the bottom of the carb to the float bowl - Anyone got any other ideas?

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1987 Johnson 6hp carb issue - will not keep running

Heres a pic of your carb. hope it helps!

Attachments

• J6RCUD Carb.jpg
    J6RCUD Carb.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 0

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I have one of those - thanks, just wanted to confirm primer hose is hooked to the correct place, explosion does not show connections

AlTn

Commander

I've read posts of others having the same type problems with similar primers..fuel leaking by the o rings if I remeber correctly...mannnnn they're proud of that primer pump, aren't they?

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I've read posts of others having the same type problems with similar primers..fuel leaking by the o rings if I remeber correctly...mannnnn they're proud of that primer pump, aren't they?

The basic old fashion choke plate worked fine and cost less - no failures

Handyman1

Petty Officer 3rd Class

did you check the fuel pump,or check the float in the carb may need some adjustment good luck

AEROCOOK

Master Chief Petty Officer

When you finish priming it are you pushing the knob all the way back in or just leaving it where it settled when you let go of the knob?
As I understand it, when its not pushed all the way back in, it works as an enrichener until the motor warms up a bit, then you push it all the way in and your good to go.
Sorry if it sounds like I'm pointing out the obvious, but it hasnt been mentioned yet in the post.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I actually put a small vice grip on the primer hose to the engine to shut it off and ran it. She ran a while then I noticed a small amount of fuel leaking out of the carb. Perhaps it needs a new needle & seat and a possible float adjustment as its over flowing gas slightly. This would make it run rich and flood it out right if the needle is not seating tightly?

The fuel pump seems strong

Monte1961

Lieutenant Junior Grade

yes you are correct!

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

New needle & seat with slight float adjustment fixed the problem - thanks to all

AlTn

Commander

glad to read of your success

jimmyriggs

Cadet

Hello, i just bought 2 of these motors 1987 6hp johnson's one is running and is 80% (missing only the prop end drive shaft, and prop) the other motor is just for parts(missing the parts i need!).. i am in need of the shaft any idea how to get parts or anyone interested in trading these parts for my spare parts motor?