evinrude 70hp drive problem

hastyryan

Cadet
hello guys, new to the forum, but it looks great lots of good info thats helped me a ton already. But now i'm having a problem i cant figure out. I have 74 ouchita bass boat, with 74 70hp evinrude model 70442 with selectric shift. Ok now heres the problem, when the boat is in foward it acts like its kicking in and out of nuetral, it will go but,(trying to think how to explain it it would be easier to make noises...lol) so its in foward and going but it keeps jumping real hard like it went into N then back to F and the faster you try to the harder it jumps when it kicks out i know its not the carbs or spark it has to be in the lower, im sure that its kicking out what should i check first before i tear into it.....and the reason i say its not the carbs i just fixed everything else had it running great then bam this happened oh and it seems to fine in reverse(of course i couldn't go very fast cause it pushing water over the back...but i did check it and it worked fine) thanks for any help!!

hastyryan

Cadet
Re: evinrude 70hp drive problem

oh and after this happened i brought home drained the LU it appeared fine no metal shaving in it, but it was rather thick from what i've read and seen in my book that these require a thinner fluid, like the type c or my manual even said dextron 3 trans fluid, so i went to get more lube they didnt have the type c so i got tranny fluid filled back up, took her back to the water with the same result i never even took it off the trailer just backed it in and tried to go foward but it would kick out

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Almost sounds like your clutch dog is jumping in and out of gear.

teddiego

Cadet

I have a 1983 70 hp evinrude that is doing the same thing. and I just had the trans rebuilt then put on a new shift cable and it is still doing it. It jumps out of gear, when I sent it to the repair guy reverse was out , when I got it back this started.

hastyryan

Cadet

well after tearing into my LU i realized the motor i have on my boat is not what it says it is on the paper work, either its been swapped out or the original owner got jipped when he bought it, i looked at the id tag on the motor, found 60172c wich turns out to be a 71 60hp not the 74 70hp i thought i had:mad: that eplains why the diagrams i was looking at were not matching up