1971 Evinrude 60 HP 60173C Impeller, Water Pump, Tell Tale stream question and kudos

JPentz

Recruit
Hello folks,
I'm new to outboard motor ownership and have been lurking for a couple of weeks on this forum reading all I can about the Evinrude 60173C. The information you folks have shared has helped me a lot - so Thank You!

I purchased a 1989 Sun Tracker 24' Party Barge and this motor came with it. I dropped it of a the marine shop and was told the compression and spark were good, but I did not have neutral or reverse. I looked that up on this site, changed the milky brown junk from the LU and replaced it with Type C (learned from here!). On the hose I had F, N, and R. I launched the boat and had reverse until I headed to the dock to pick up my family and gear, then no N or R! Circled around, killed the motor, loaded the family and off we went (with paddles, a trolling motor and spare deep cycle battery on board as plans B and C). For the rest of the day I had all 3 gears (FNR), even when I showed how rookie I was while trying to load the boat back on the trailer (FNR, oops, FNR, oops,...). The plugs did not have washers and I didn't have replacements so I wrapped them with teflon tape in an effort to keep the water out.

Here's the reason I'm writing the forum today:
The tell tale stream out the back of this motor looks pathetic, it burbles, some water streaming out (dribbling actually) all the time with spurts of higher volumes coming out regularly. I seem to remember reading that this is the case for this engine, even with a new water pump or impeller. Is this correct, or am I risking overheating the motor?

I want to change the water pump (not just the impeller) because I don't know what I'll find when I drop the LU and want to be prepared for the worst case (water pump wise anyway) scenario. I'm having trouble finding a water pump kit for this motor (at least with confidence). If any of you can point me in the proper direction to purchase a water pump kit I would appreciate it.

I have an OEM service manual on order to make doing these repairs more likely to succeed.

Thanks again for all the great advice I've read on this site. I hope to contribute in a positive way at some point in the future.

Jeff

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1971 Evinrude 60 HP 60173C Impeller, Water Pump, Tell Tale stream question and ku

The tell tale stream out the back of this motor looks pathetic, it burbles, some water streaming out (dribbling actually) all the time with spurts of higher volumes coming out regularly. I seem to remember reading that this is the case for this engine, even with a new water pump or impeller. Is this correct, or am I risking overheating the motor?

I want to change the water pump (not just the impeller) because I don't know what I'll find when I drop the LU and want to be prepared for the worst case (water pump wise anyway) scenario. I'm having trouble finding a water pump kit for this motor (at least with confidence). If any of you can point me in the proper direction to purchase a water pump kit I would appreciate it.

I have an OEM service manual on order to make doing these repairs more likely to succeed.

Thanks again for all the great advice I've read on this site. I hope to contribute in a positive way at some point in the future.

Jeff

You don't have a tell tale on that motor. That's just the exhaust relief ports spitting which is normal. A new impeller is always a good idea if you don't know how old the one in there is. If the housing looks fine, I wouldn't replace it.

JPentz

Recruit
Re: 1971 Evinrude 60 HP 60173C Impeller, Water Pump, Tell Tale stream question and ku

You don't have a tell tale on that motor. That's just the exhaust relief ports spitting which is normal. A new impeller is always a good idea if you don't know how old the one in there is. If the housing looks fine, I wouldn't replace it.

Ah yes, my newbie-ness shines through. I thought the tell tale was the pee stream out the back.

So if the exhaust relief ports are spitting and dribbling and this is considered normal I can order an impeller, drop the LU, (being mindfull of the blue and green wires running to the shifter solenoids) replace the impeller and possibly see no difference in the spit and dribble from the exhaust releif ports but rest assured for 2 - 3 years that I have a new impeller pushing water through the engine?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Yep.

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

You didn't mention whether you now have new washers for L/U plugs.
Running with teflon tape is not a wise option if that gearbox is the one I think it is...parts are hard to get and $$$$$.

JPentz

Recruit

You didn't mention whether you now have new washers for L/U plugs.
Running with teflon tape is not a wise option if that gearbox is the one I think it is...parts are hard to get and $$$$$.

Don't have washers yet. After changing LU oil with Type C two weeks ago the motor ran on Lake Hartwell (GA) for about 3 hours. I plan to drain and inspect the oil this weekend to see if any water got in. Does teflon tape not seal the threads well enough to prevent water infiltration, or is there a different danger I'm not aware of?