Johnson/Evinrude Cold Start vs Warm Start Procedures

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The FAQ "Johnson/Evinrude Cold Start Procedures" is a great reference for cold starting my 1986 Johnson 150. The question I have is, when do you not use the primer bulb or the electronic primer solenoid when starting the engine. For example, would a four hour stop at an anchorage/sandbar require priming the primer bulb and utilizing the primer solenoid at start up, or do you forget about the primer bulb after the initial start for the day? Any thoughts on when not to use the primer solenoid and/or primer bulb? Is it a correct assumption that priminig the primer bulb at all starts should not be detrimental to an engine start ? Thanks for your comments.

archcycle

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Johnson/Evinrude Cold Start vs Warm Start Procedures

All the primer bulb does is move gas from the far away gas tank to the edge of the fuel pump. That is how it "primes" the pump. If your pump hasn't lost its prime there is no reason to prime it. It will be a boat to boat situation. I sometimes give mine a check if it's been a few hours. If you DO lose the prime after just a few hours then it would be an indication of a fuel or air leak somewhere.

I've only needed my solenoid when on rare occasions the boat has sat for 3 weeks or more, otherwise it doesn't really help me.

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

archcycle, I agree with your comments in regard to the need to prime your engine. It seems once I prime the motor in the morning I am good for the entire day. However, I admit I have never tried to start it first thing in the morning without priming it.

In regard to the primer solenoid, I am going to back off my use of it after the first start of the day. I may be overdoing it at times which may be leading to the engine getting flooded.

Fed

Commander

Only use the primer bulb for the first start of the day, it will push fuel all the way to the carbies & fill them up. There's nothing in the fuel pump to stop fuel going straight through.
If you're switched on you can feel as each carby float closes, I can anyway.
What I've found is,
0-30 minutes = warm start, just hit the key.
30-60 minutes = cool start, fast idle lever and ready to hit electric primer.
+60 minutes = full cold start without squeezing the primer ball.

Terrapin

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Fed, Thanks for your information. This gives me some good input data for my engine starting procedure.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Keep in mind that you still have the fuel bowls in the carb filled with fuel, even if some of the fuel starts to bleed back through the hose to the tank after a few hours. The engine will start and run with the fuel in the bowls. By the time the fuel in the bowls is exhausted, the fuel pump should be drawing fresh fuel throught the hose.