Evinrude 150hp commercial OIL MXING

gabz2002

Cadet
Hi too all,

I am having a problem with my boat and I do not know what it is. First of all I own a Wellcraft 18' Sportman 2000 with a 150hp Evinrude commercial. I notice every time I turn the engine on I hear a horn and the OIL LED turns ON (a red light). If I turn the engine off and back on, it quiets down a bit, and later on starts the same horn with the OIL LED back ON.. Some guys told me VRO problem, but I dont quite know. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: Evinrude 150hp commercial OIL MXING

Let's assume the oil alarm has some meaning. Start using premix immediately rather than run the risk of destroying the engine! Then proceed to find the cause of the alarm. The OEM shop manual will be a help here.

gabz2002

Cadet

Thanks for your response.

When you mean OEM, what does that mean? and what about the VRO of the engine -- they told me its related to that but I don't know what it is or how to replace it.

Thank you

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

whats the exact model ? a carbed one or a injected ficht?

glengold

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, OEM = original equipment manufacture. It is a term used for everything manufactured, not just boats. There are companies out there (clymer, seloc) which make shop manuals that are inferior to the OEM shop manuals.

VRO = variable ratio oiling. It was a technology developed so that you don't have to mix oil in the fuel at the pump. Oil is stored in a separate tank, and is pulled to mix with the fuel prior to entering the cylinder. If a line is cracked or pinched, you arn't getting oil. I had a friend who got his motor back from the mechanic with several zip ties pulled too tight on an oil line and was restricting oil from reaching the tank inside the cowling. This set off the oil alarm when the tank under the cowling became 1/2 full. Many people disable the VRO system and just premix because if it fails you can ruin your motor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

VRO is variable ratio oiling. VRO units were replaced by OMS (Oil Metering System) units in the mid 90s.

Usually Evinrude Commercial motors has some differences from standard Evinrude. Why not post your model number so we can tell exactly what motor you have? If you must run the motor, use premix as was suggested.

ok put this in normal person terms. OEM is a original part made by the manufacturer. VRO is short for variable ratio oil it is the fuel pump and oil pump all in one piece. the VRO system is really not too trustworthy because it could really damage your engine if the oil side fails... you can easily disable your VRO oil injection and just premix your gas for peace of mind. also these VRO pumps are VERY VERY well known for slowly going bad with all the ethanol in our fuel these days so it is in your best interest to replace it. OMC has made a newer ethanol/alcohol resistant pump

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

ok put this in normal person terms. OEM is a original part made by the manufacturer. VRO is short for variable ratio oil it is the fuel pump and oil pump all in one piece. the VRO system is really not too trustworthy because it could really damage your engine if the oil side fails... you can easily disable your VRO oil injection and just premix your gas for peace of mind. also these VRO pumps are VERY VERY well known for slowly going bad with all the ethanol in our fuel these days so it is in your best interest to replace it. OMC has made a newer ethanol/alcohol resistant pump

This is just not correct. There may be reasons to premix for some, but VRO 2 and OMS pumps were very reliable. I had an '85 J140 with VRO2 for over twenty years with never a moments problem and plenty of ethanol fuel went through that sucker. VRO and OMS have gotten a bad rap from many lazy mechanics who blamed PH failures on VRO/OMS, when the culprit was usually lean running caused by dirty carbs. In fact, we see many come to this board with complaints like "my motor won't run above 2500RPM". If you want some perspective on this topic, read the following:
http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/VRO.html

Fed

Commander

+1 Wilde1j.

gabz2002

Cadet

Thank you very much for your fast answers. I am going to gather up the model number and post it as quick as I can because it is driving me crazy not knowing how to fix it. It makes a lot of sound and displays OIL on the board. I do not know what parts to buy, where to buy it and how to fix it!