1969 johnson 55 hp loop charged outboard boat motor

Dia1960

Recruit
I installed a new key start switch the other day and it had three screws on the back labled igniton, bat, and sol, the old switch i pulled out however had 4 screws, 2 for ignition, bat and st, i hooked the wires for ignition to the one on the new switch and took a guess on the other two. and today when i hooked a battery up and gave it a test i got a noise from the engine, im guessing the solenoid, but the started did not engage, and then i pulled the switch out to look over the wiring again and i got an ark off of another wire that was not hooked up and now it dosnt even make the sound on the engine.

First i would like to know if i wired the key start wrong or if its something else
Second i would like to know if i shorted anything out and where to start looking for the solution
and third i would like to know what would have stoped the starter from engaging

the motor is a 69 johnson 55 loop charged

thanks

seasprayralph

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1969 johnson 55 hp loop charged outboard boat motor

Hi, it sounds to me like you have got the other two wires in the wrong place,, If your engine has a choke solenoid, and the wire was on the wrong switch terminal then when you turn the key instead of energising the starter solenoid it would make the choke solenoid click (possibly the noise you heard) and of course there would be no power reaching the starter solenoid,, easy enough to check,, simply reverse the wires , or if you have a multimeter disconect the top solenoid wire(non earthed on the starter solenoid) and trace it back to the wires at the ignition switch, then connect to ign,,, hope this helps