Great find, need help restoring! Qd-11 10hp 1950 johnson. Please help!!

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice
Hi, i am very young at 14 but i know alot about engines and outboards, i started working on them when i was 12 and have a current collection of sizes from 1.2hp-40hp(16 total now mostly omc and eska). i am good when it comes to rebuilding engines (i rebuilt my snowmobile engine last year new piston,rings, carb kit etc.) i need help restoring my newest piece. it has spark, i used a spark checker and saw plenty of spark although the tar is starting to leak from the coil so ill consider replacing. i am wondering where i can find the fuel pump plate for the post 1960 qd's 10hp. i am interested in modding it to run with a vacuum fuel pump and need help finding parts!! i will post pics soon. also, not too important YET but where can i find a waterpump. i love outboard and have wanted and oldie like this for as long as i can imagine and now have one to restore. please help me out and dont think i wolnt understand what you are talking about, I WILL. Thank you guys soosososoosososossososo much.

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral
Re: Great find, need help restoring! Qd-11 10hp 1950 johnson. Please help!!

The fuel pump plate will most likely be different in the post 1960 motor, from your old QD-11. You might have to work with what you got to adapt a fuel pump.

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

i found that the plat on the fuelpump is the same and i will buy a snowmobile vacuum pump to be powerded by the pulsating of the engine, just need to know where i can find it. ive heard of it done; sadly it didnt come with the tanks and i have regular omc tanks but hey, i only payed $25
and it has great spark!. all replys appriciated please continue to help.

kfa4303

Banned

Hi geo. Here are a link that may help. you can get an impeller, and almost any other part you may need, right here at iboats under the "Marine Store" tab in the top left corner. you can look up your part number by year and/or hp. Lots of folks here have these 10 hp motor, including me. mine is a '61 QD-22. feel free to as questions if you get stuck. keep us posted. good luck.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

hey, so i just started opening this up a few hours ago and noticed all the lines are about 1/8'' metal lines: should i use thread on barbs and convert to rubber 1/8 or keep it original? ps. thanks master chief, can post a link to the water pump, i cant find it.

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

btw you know how your 1961 has a fuel pump, well where can i purchase the unit to put on my motor, i read up that the bolt pattern is the same and it seems to be the best way to keep it "ORIGINAL". thanks in advance. mines a fuel pressure system -_- im looking to convert it so it have the newer fuel hose like my newer 9.9 johnson. thanks aton.

kfa4303

Banned

hello again geo. I believe you can get the fuel pump and related pieces right here at iboats. Mikuni seems to be the brand of choice. Here's a link to how you can do it yourself. Lots of other folks have done the conversion too and can help you if you get stuck. I hope this helps.

http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

anyone know what thread the metal fuel lines are? i would like to convert one of them so it is copatible with the new fuel conversion. thanks in advance. ie: thread size?

1946Zephyr

Vice Admiral

i found that the plat on the fuelpump is the same and i will buy a snowmobile vacuum pump to be powerded by the pulsating of the engine, just need to know where i can find it. ive heard of it done; sadly it didnt come with the tanks and i have regular omc tanks but hey, i only payed $25
and it has great spark!. all replys appriciated please continue to help.

Oh, well if the plate is the same, then why not stick with a 10hp fuel pump? I would. It would make the motor look a little more factory.

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

it is cheaper to change it, also the original pump is more money and i can not find it anywhere. im going to use a replacement fuel pump for a kawasaki engine- $20 on ebay with 1/4" barbs
i just need to know the thread size so i can convert the fuel intake on the carburator from a metal line to a plastic line, i need to know the thread so i can buy a brass thread on barb. please help me with the thread size, thank you.

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

also, im only 14 so im working on a tight budget so im trying to get it runnin for as little as possible heres what i plan to do:
waterpmp-$12
Fuelpump-$22
Barbs(3)-$6
coils-$11 (i have a mechanics account at napa so i get a discount)
new fuel connect- $8

kfa4303

Banned

hello again. generally, the thread count on many of the fasteners is 1/4 x 20, which means you could count 20 threads in every 1/4" of the fastener. It's a pretty common so you should be able to find if pretty easily. I'm not exactly sure if that is the right thread count, but it may be a good place to start. Oh, and I'm jealous of your mechanics discount at NAPA! LOL.

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

^^^^^ Sarcasm? if so its really not appriciated, you can set up an account just ask the manager to do it really simple and you save a couple dollars. and thanks on the thread size, ill look into it. Anyone around here converted one of these? does the engine get enough fuel to run at full open? thanks.

kfa4303

Banned

No worries Geo. The motor will get plenty of fuel, especially with a new pump, but make sure the gas tank isn't too far below the level of the motor to start. It may not be quite powerful enough to draw fuel from a tank on the ground up to a motor several feet above the ground on a stand. If that is the case, just raise the tank up a bit while you're testing it. Once the motor is on the boat you'll be fine.

nwcove

Admiral

geo, you can test run your motor without doing the pump conversion yet. just get some 16:1 premix, i just kept it in a 2 gallon jerry can, connect a standard omc line with primer bulb to the inlet of the carb (you might have to use a piece of small line on the existing line, then push and clamp the bigger line on to that. ) set your can of fuel on a step ladder or something stable, as long as its higher than your carb. prime the bulb to fill the bowl, and it will siphon when the motor starts. oh.....i also dissconnect the pressure line from the old dual line connecter, and that line will probably spit fuel and be messy, try to catch any drippings from it and return them to your tank/jug.

Geotheoutboardkid

Seaman Apprentice

hey i have a question, the daul connector has two lines: one for fuel and one for pressure correct? so does the pressure line go: suck,blow,suck,blow,suck,blow. like the vacuum created by the piston on the side of the engine? if so, ill put a barb on the vaccume line and power my pump by that. also the initial fuel intake should be brought in through the primer bulb right? thanks

Last edited:

nwcove

Admiral

pressure line only does one thing.....supply pressure to the old style tank. there are flapper valves behind the intake manifold that only allow pressure to escape to the pressure line, no vacuum. (that would be too easy!!!)