Strange problem shifting out of gear with Johnson 2005 90 HP 2 stroke engine

Bronx68

Seaman Apprentice
We boat is on trailer with garden hose attached I can shift in and out of gear with no problem and cannot duplicate the problem. When boat is on the water and I shift out of gear I must go a little past the shift detent point to get it to come out of gear. I can't understand why it shifts perfectly on trailer/garden hose but must go extra travel on shift lever to come out of gear while on the water. The motor does idle at a lower RPM on the water (I think due to water back pressure on exhaust) than when running on the garden hose. I don't think this should effect shifting out of gear.
Johnson 2005 90 HP 2 Stroke
Center console
About 60 hours on engine
The boat was like this when I bought it used

James R

Commander
Re: Strange problem shifting out of gear with Johnson 2005 90 HP 2 stroke engine

The difference is that the water provides pressure on the prop when in the water. Sounds like there is a poorly adjusted cable or you have wear in the control system.

Bronx68

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Strange problem shifting out of gear with Johnson 2005 90 HP 2 stroke engine

How do I make this adjustment? Where is the adjustment device located? It sounds like I must make this adjustment on the water.

James R

Commander

The adjustment is made on the cable threaded portion inside the motor case.You will need to release the clamp holding the cable and then make the adjustment. Set the cable so that there is equal movement required to shift into gear forward and reverse.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you really want to fine tune it, do the adjusting in the water. Had to do this many times.

Bronx68

Seaman Apprentice

Do you have a photo or drawing of this adjustment nut/trunnion/clamp?

Haffiman

Commander

On stb side where the cables enters the motor, you have a small cover attached with two screws.
Remove the cover.
Just inside you will see the clamp holding the cables and covering the adjustment trunnions.
Remove the clamp to adjust the trunnion as mentioned above. If test driving, remember to put the clamp back first!!!

Bronx68

Seaman Apprentice

Haffiman,
Okay, I removed the cover as you explained. There are two adjustment thumbwheels. It appears that the top one is the one I need to adjust? Correct? Do I need to remove the cable or just the clamp to make the adjustment? I pretty far from a water body with a dock so do you know what effect moving the thumbwheel has in relation to shift level? In my case I need to come out of forward gear to neutral without having to go past the shift level detent.
Thanks,
Ray

Haffiman

Commander

You only need to remove the clamp, or at least loosen it quite a bit. Move the trunnion forward. It is a good help to be two people. After adjustment, have someone turn the propeller, then shift slowly. It is important that the angle of movement of the handle is the same when forward and reverse starts to engage when shifting from neutral!! Be aware that your problem might be impossible to completely resolve to to internal cable play. The longer the cables, the bigger the play and this type of problem. As cables gets worn, problem increases.