Piston size 150 Evinrude ficht

nethunter

Cadet
Hi all,
my name is peter and i come from germany, cologne/bonn

I bought an evinrude ficht 150 and it was blown up after 10 minutes test run.

Now i habe all parts here inclusive new zylinder sleeves and connection rod to complete the enginge.

I have a problem with the bore size of the zylinder sleeves. The standart bore size is 3.600". The pisten has 3.5905 at the biggest diameter.

i was told from the work shop that the diameter different from piston to bore is to much, ...is 0,0010"
Remember, it is all new parts in Std.

Now the work shop is waiting of my confirmation to drill hole to 3,600 bore size.

My question is...is the gap of 0,001 right? The workshop is doin mostly car motors ...not outboards. iam concerned that i have wrong pistons, but on the boxes of pistons is clear shown up 3,600 standart.

please help, tomorrow i need to tell my workshop the diameter i want to have at the sleeves.

thanks from a rainy germany
peter

...sorry for my english

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Piston size 150 Evinrude ficht

on one hand i cannot give you exact numbers but on the other hand remember the piston diameter is not the whole story- you have to consider the diameter of the piston rings.

i would call evinrude in krefeld or a good dealer which knows the ficht to have a look in the repair manual for exact bore drilling procedures and what kind of oversize pistons / rings are available. when the diameter of piston + rings is 3.5905 and the cylinder bore exactly 3.6 ist truly maybe too much -or it also maybe perfect in the tolerance. also remeber that the bore info of 3.6 inch ( 91mm) may only be for marketing purposes and the ecaxt bore number may differ - make sure that this engine has exactly 91.00mm bore and not just in the sales prospekt.

what has blown ? a piston ? which cylinder ?

viele gr?sse zur?ck aus hannover von einem ebenfalls 150 ficht (ram) besitzer!

nethunter

Cadet

Hi seaman,
thanks.
I have the service manual. It shows the bore diameter 3,5995 - 3,6005. But i dont have the diameter of the standart piston its, not shown in the manual.
The new piston are 3,575 at minumum point and 3,5905 as max diameter....is that OK???

gruss nach Hannover

aerobat

when the bore diameter according to an official service manual is stated at 3.5995-3.6005 you make nothing wrong to drill the cylinder at exactly 3.600. when it comes to the piston - when you have an original part and not an aftermarket piston you can assume its the right size. again- remember that the piston HAS to be slightly thinner than the bore because you have to count extra space for the piston rings . not the piston but the rings push against the cylinder wall. a piston of exactly 3.6 without rings would not work in a bore of 3.6 but squeeze when you put the rings on it.

i personally would like said contact evinrude germany with it and basicly go for it when the drilling is in the tolerance of the service manual and you have an original evinrude/bombardier piston and ring set. it should for sure work.

one more idea: confirm also that the connection rod is exactly the same like the other rods in the engine since especially the fichts had several upgrades and minor changes. what year is the engine?

nethunter

Cadet

Hi aerobat;
thanks...

I dont have orginal OMC pistons. It is after market stuff for sure. As i understand now is that the bore diameter is fixed according to the OMC specs.
The pistons could be different, depending on the manufacture. Thats why i can not find the diameter spec of standart pistons....is that possible?

in the service manual i have there are many different Evinrude Motors. For some of them the diameter of pistons is in the spec list. All of them have less gap like mine! Mostly they have 0,005" different!

thanks and greetings from germany
peter

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Are you using an OEM manual or third party one?

aerobat

OMC is history, now bombardier should be the seller of original parts.

do you know this link?

http://epc.brp.com/Index.aspx?lang=E&s1=2f09b139-f5c7-4092-9dc2-82c3b87017a9

i still do not know the year of your ficht , but you may scroll to your engine and have a look at the bombardier online shop and original parts.

original ring set is 0.030 inch on a 2000 150hp ficht.

so when you write you have a piston 3.575 + the rings with 0.030 you get 3.605 on the thinnest side and 3.635 with rings on the biggest side when i understand right. - and these numbers look good. in my opinion thats all theory. you other cylinders may be far more out of specs and run good, the piston has tolerances and is not a perfect circle, the rings also. just install and enjoy the ride. you never have a quarantee .

how do you have your numbers? by measuring? they may also be tolerances in measuring , and no quarantee the shop is able to hone EXACTLY to 3.600000000000 . but none of this means the engine will not perform well.

but again- there were several hardware upgrades on the ficht engines, especially in the original fichts before 2000 when the upgraded ficht ram were introduced- and for sure check you have the right parts ! when your engine is 98-99 also check if in his first years upgrades where done ( eg pinned heads like the ficht rams have ) - you MUST have exactly the same connecting rod and piston layout like the other cylinders have. ( when i overall understand you right that you drill and repiston just one cylinder and not all)

do you have a diagnostic laptop? you have a mode "break in" in the EMM which gives more oil for the first hours and it might be a good idea to setup the engine for break in.

best regards
marius

nethunter

Cadet

Hi thanks,
sorry ...the engine/powerhead seams be replaced. The shaft tag is shown a 99 ficht. But the powerhead seam to me a 98. Iam very sure about that...so it is a 98 150 ficht!

All diameter i wrote are without the rings of course. The diameter i wrote dicripe the piston budy.

The gap iam talk about of 0,010"....i think i made a mistake....one 0 too much.

Sorry....for that!

So ...is the diameter different of 0,010" right of piston too zylinder?

thanks peter

aerobat

i surely think its right. due to original parts of bombardier the rings alone have 0.030 , so you have a pretty tight sitting piston with rings on the cylinder.

pretty tight , soooo- leg nicht den hebel auf den tisch in der ersten stunde but give the engine a new break in ;-)

and look again at the bombardier sales shop and see that the pistons have different part numbers on several years of manufacture - with a piston on a different year model the engine may run bad .

just for interesting as an owner of a similar engine - did you sorted out why you blew a cylinder? and for what i zhave heared about the first fichts - let me quess, the middle cylinder or port or stbd bank is blown, right?

Solittle

Fleet Admiral

First I am not an engine internals guy. I do remember reading a number of posts in situations such as yours. They were unanimous in recommending that you do not want an automotive machine shop do the machine work on an outboard. Something to do with taper of the cylinders if I recall. Verify - -

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

That is correct. An auto machine shop is poorly equipped from a knowledge standpoint to do a proper job of boring an outboard block and they typically don't have the appropriate fixtures either. I would never use an auto machine shop, period.

nethunter

Cadet

Yes youre right,
but here is no mashine shop for outboards. But i know they can drill the hole, exactly round to exactly the diamention i like to have....but i dont know. Today i called BRP germany...guess...they have the same i have. The manual with the standard bore diameter but not the right piston diameters!!!
I called another dealer of evinrude ...old guy ...he is allmost sure that the diameters i have is right! Thats all info i got!
Damn

peter

aerobat

i would go for it . you have by the manual the confirmation that drilling to 3.6 is perfectly right, so the shop can start the work. in worst case you have a wrong piston, but i think the engine will run .piston diameter + rings seem to give the right value .

nethunter

Cadet

Hi all,
thanks for help!

I called my dealer in USA , tri state marine, and he confirmed that the diameters are right. So 0,010" smaler piston is OK. My mashine shop is drilling the sleeves now.

I could not reach the dealer for some days, no idea why?

But the reason for that threat was , i didnt want to have the risc to instal wrong pistons. I invest up to now 3000 USD in parts only.

At weekend i start to assemble...i hope.
I give an update when iam ready!

by
peter