Johnson or Evinrude/85 HP

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Everyone,
I purchased a used boat a year ago, and was told it had a 85HP Johnson motor. It had a Johnson remote control, and a cowling with Johnson 85 HP labeling, so I had no reason to question this.

I was told a few months ago on this forum that the model number on the transom mount (85393M) is actually an Evinrude, not a Johnson. This same number (85393M) is also ink stamped on top of the motor near the lift bracket.

I am re-painting the cowling...and will be attempting to get the color scheme and labels as close to original as possible, so I want to make sure I know if my engine is an Evinrude or Johnson. My guess is that both brands have identical parts, and therefore, it is possible that parts have been interchanged.

A couple questions:

1.Are all parts interchangeable between the 1973 85 HP Johnson and Evinrude, or is there at least one part which would help me clarify whether my engine is an Evinrude or Johnson?

2. What would you do...paint it Evinrude, or Johnson color scheme?

Thanks for any advice.Boat17Oct2010 001.jpg

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: Johnson or Evinrude/85 HP

If the number is on both the power head and transom tag, then it is an Evinrude. The only difference is the hood and sometimes the remote controls. It's pretty common to see the cowls changed if one got lost or broken.

dazk14

Ensign

1973 Evinrude 85HP with 1977 85 cowl. The 1973 cowl wasn't as square.

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the replies. I will plan to put the Evinrude decals and strips on the cowling...and get is as close to original as possible without replacing the cowling.

yorab

Ensign

nymarine.ca has the original paint and possibly the decals.

RDJuhl

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for all the responses.
dazk14 - you identified the year of the cowling...which led me to getting the correct bottom cowling seal. Many thanks.
I was not able to find anyone with the correct decals...so I did the following:
Purchased generic "Evinrude", V4, and "85" labels
Spray painted red and blue stripes

Attached is what the original looked like from a 1973 brochure...and what it looks like now. Not a perfect match to the original...but close enough for me.

Attachments

• 85HPEvinrude.jpg
    85HPEvinrude.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 0
  • EvinrudeSample.JPG
    EvinrudeSample.JPG
    21.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: