88 hp johnson outboard rectifer installation

95glas

Seaman
changing the rectifier on my outboard, am hoping the reason why my tach never worked..both new rectifer and one on boat have 2 yellow 1 red wire.. manual says 1 should have gray tracer but don't see on either one.. 2 yellow wires go to different terminals on terminal block..way to tell which wire goes where?

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: 88 hp johnson outboard rectifer installation

I doesn't matter. The one with the gray trace is normally where the tach lead goes but it cdan go to either yellow wire.

Fed

Commander

I think one side of the rectifier is earthed through its case and although it won't hurt to put the gray lead on either yellow if the tacho doesn't work on one then swap it to the other.

95glas

Seaman

thanks, was told doesn't matter where each of the yellow leads go

Fed

Commander

thanks, was told doesn't matter where each of the yellow leads go
That's right, the stator has no connection to ground until you connect the yellow wires.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The newer (replacement) rectifiers don't have a marked yellow with grey tracer anymore. You'd think the factory would put some note in the box for all of us to explain their change.

95glas

Seaman

i know, when i first contacted the seller..told me to read the manual! manual says one has gray tracer..would lessen headaches if they included something in the box explaining this