2003 Johnson 4 Stroke Bombardier fuel injection electronic ign.

Richhub

Cadet
I have replace gas line & fittings, bulb, gas lines on engine, fuel pump, inline filter and still cannot get the motor to take gas to the fuel injectors.
Can you tell me if there is a pressure regulator or something else could be the problem.
It is getting fire.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: 2003 Johnson 4 Stroke Bombardier fuel injection electronic ign.

As you are finding out, throwing parts at an engine, especially a modern ECU controlled EFI engine, gets expensive and generally results in failure to fix the problem. You need to DIAGNOSE the problem, ISOLATE the faulty component(s) and then replace or repair those. Unfortunately modern engines have a bunch of electronics and sensors that can go bad creating a no-start situation. A failed ECU is also possible. You really need to retrieve the fault code(s) that are certainly stored in the ECU. To do that and understand what systems are at fault you need the factory service manual specific to your engine. Throttle position sensor, temp sensor, oil pressure sender, crank position sensor are just a few things that can be bad. A disconnected or poor electrical connection can cause the problem. Fuel that was not treated before storage and run through the engine can cause the injectors to stick and/or clog.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Changing parts is the most used, most expensive, most frustrating and least successful method of troubleshooting known to man.

I agree with Silvertip. Get the right manual and the right equipment and you might be able to find out what is wrong.

Richhub

Cadet

As you are finding out, throwing parts at an engine, especially a modern ECU controlled EFI engine, gets expensive and generally results in failure to fix the problem. You need to DIAGNOSE the problem, ISOLATE the faulty component(s) and then replace or repair those. Unfortunately modern engines have a bunch of electronics and sensors that can go bad creating a no-start situation. A failed ECU is also possible. You really need to retrieve the fault code(s) that are certainly stored in the ECU. To do that and understand what systems are at fault you need the factory service manual specific to your engine. Throttle position sensor, temp sensor, oil pressure sender, crank position sensor are just a few things that can be bad. A disconnected or poor electrical connection can cause the problem. Fuel that was not treated before storage and run through the engine can cause the injectors to stick and/or clog.

I agree, that's why I called a couple OB mechanics & ordered a repair manual 1st thing this morning. The lines were ready for replacement and I took a shot in the dark on the fuel pump. With the electronics and sensors I doubt I will be able to diagnose the problem. I diffidently don't have all the tools and knowledge to work on a electronic ignition & fuel injected OB motor.
I take good care of this OB and boat and in return it has gave me 5 yrs of steady fun on the water.
Thanks for the comments well taken......

clanton

Rear Admiral

When you get the manual, check the high pressure fuel pump, pump is inside small tank on side of engine. Regulator also inside the tank. Key on you should hear pump run for a few seconds. You didnot state horsepower of engine. that info is needed.

Richhub

Cadet

When you get the manual, check the high pressure fuel pump, pump is inside small tank on side of engine. Regulator also inside the tank. Key on you should hear pump run for a few seconds. You didnot state horsepower of engine. that info is needed.

90 HP

Thxs,

Richhub

Cadet

90 HP

Thxs,

Alright I received my SELCO repair manual and read the description and operations in the EFI/Fuel section of the manual. I turned the key on like it suggested and listened for the hi pressure fuel pump to make its 6 seconds of noise, No Sound at All...I then got out the ohm meter and unplugged the ECM outlet from the pump, checked the pump side plug and did not get a reading close to the 0.8-5 ohms the manual stated. I then checked the ECM plug by setting the DVOM on 20 VDC and got a reading just above 12 volts. I ran a pressure test on the fuel line after the hi pressure fuel filter and before the fuel injector rods. Gauge did not get a reading. Do you think the hi pressure fuel pump has gone bad?
THXS,

Richhub

Cadet

Thanks for all your help in advance

daselbee

Commander

If you have 12v at the fuel pump connector for the specified time period just after the key is turned on....that time as specified in the manual, and the pump does not run, then yes, the pump is bad.

You can, if you are very very careful, directly power the pump with a 12v source. Remember you are dealing with possible gasoline and sparks at that connector. But to test the pump, you can power it up with small jumpers and alligator clips to see if it runs by batt alone.

Basically, the EMM powers 12v to the pump for that specified time and then shuts it down until start. So, you have to do all voltage measurements during the specified time period, or recycle the key off and back on. I have also clipped a 12v light bulb to the EMM side of the connector, and watched the bulb as the key is turned on. Bulb will light for specified time, and then go out. If it does that, the EMM is OK.

I refer to the time as "specified time period" because I do not know the value for your engine...but it will be in the 3-5 sec range, I think.

Richhub

Cadet

If you have 12v at the fuel pump connector for the specified time period just after the key is turned on....that time as specified in the manual, and the pump does not run, then yes, the pump is bad.

You can, if you are very very careful, directly power the pump with a 12v source. Remember you are dealing with possible gasoline and sparks at that connector. But to test the pump, you can power it up with small jumpers and alligator clips to see if it runs by batt alone.

Basically, the EMM powers 12v to the pump for that specified time and then shuts it down until start. So, you have to do all voltage measurements during the specified time period, or recycle the key off and back on. I have also clipped a 12v light bulb to the EMM side of the connector, and watched the bulb as the key is turned on. Bulb will light for specified time, and then go out. If it does that, the EMM is OK.

I refer to the time as "specified time period" because I do not know the value for your engine...but it will be in the 3-5 sec range, I think.

THXS again,

I put together a small set of jumpers and alligator clips and performed the exercise you explained with 12 V. I get no respond from the hi pressure fuel pump.
Now that being said I'm no boat mechanic but I can follow directions and turn a wrench. It looks to be a little involved replacing the hi pressure pump but do-able. I'm going to read further into the manual on the procedure to follow. One is that I will be removing the intake manifold therefore I should need new gaskets right?

daselbee

Commander

Yes intake comes off. You will be shocked at the gasket. All metal, with embossed ridges. Use no sealer. The gaskets are expensive.
You can get them from Brown's Point or Boats.net.

Cracking the tank that the HP pump is in will not need any gasket. While you are there, try to test the pressure regulator, in the bottom of the tank. I think it will be the same as the 70hp I worked on.

matt lewis

Recruit

while I have someone online, does anyone know anything about a 1978 115 johnson tilt/trim?

daselbee

Commander

Gotta start your own thread Matt.

Richhub

Cadet

Yes intake comes off. You will be shocked at the gasket. All metal, with embossed ridges. Use no sealer. The gaskets are expensive.
You can get them from Brown's Point or Boats.net.

Cracking the tank that the HP pump is in will not need any gasket. While you are there, try to test the pressure regulator, in the bottom of the tank. I think it will be the same as the 70hp I worked on.

daselbee,

Thanks for your help, it was the high pressure fuel pump after all. The male plug going to the fuel pump was burnt. I made sure the female plug inside the VST was good by testing it before putting the back together. You would think the engineers could of designed it so it wouldn't be so involved installing a fuel pump. It was quite the project for me but with your knowledge and the manual I had no problem at all. I'm going to take her out tomorrow morning to test her under way, & to get a jump on the winds that we will be experiencing on the east coast soon.
Thanks again from Va. "Be safe"