1987 johnson 48 special

angler0520

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi guys i have a 1987 johnson 48 special it does not idle well at all i rebuilt the carbs and still have the same running condition. my compression is good and spark as well. i checked the plugs and the bottom cylinder is burnt like normal but the top looks brand new. so while running i pulled the top plug off and sure enough no cange in running condition for some reason the top cylinder is not doing what it should. i think the timing is messed up. i am looking for the synch and link on this motor any thought or ideas would be greatly appreciated?

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1987 johnson 48 special

Well, if you are sure the compression and spark is good, try squirting some fuel mixture into the upper carb and see if it picks up, if it does you have a fuel delivery problem in the upper carb.

angler0520

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i can hold my hand over it choking it out and nothing changes.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Say, for instance, the needle is stuck in the seat and not allowing fuel into the bowl. You could weld up the opening in the carb and it wouldn't help. By squirting fuel into the carb you are basicaly bypassing the carb. If it picks up when you squirt fuel into the carb and it picks up, you have a carb problem.