1998 Johnson 200 Venom compression check

cbaker10

Cadet
Hey, I have a 1998 Johnson 200 Venom. I just did a compression check and I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they think, they seem a little low to me but I really don't know what they should be. The two top cylinders were 60 and 90, the two middle cylinders were 60 and 65, and the two bottom cylinders were 55 and 60. I took these readings after I let the motor run and warm up. I would appreciate any input?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Re: 1998 Johnson 200 Venom compression check

Have you de-carbed that motor? I would do a full decarb and check again. Did you hold the carbs wide open when you cranked it for the compression test? Were ALL the plugs removed?

So here's the route I would take. Decarb, new spark plugs (since decarb routine is nasty on the plugs) then a compression test.

cbaker10

Cadet

No I have not done anything to the carbs. And no I didn't hold the carbs wide open, I thought you just had to crank it. And again, no all plugs were not removed, I unplugged all of them but I removed them one at a time. So, what do you think? This is the first compression check I've done.
Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Pull all the spark plugs out, pull your kill switch so there's no spark and do it again. What Bob_VT meant by a decarb was to run SeaFoam through the mtr to free up the rings. Do it again and get back to us.

cbaker10

Cadet

In that case, I did decarb the motor, I didn't use seafoam, it was a Johnson and Evinrude brand carb cleaner. I ran a whole bottle through it. I will pull all plugs and try it again tomorrow. Thanks

boobie

Supreme Mariner

If you used John/Evin Engine Tuner that's good stuff. Hope you followed the directions on the can.