(manual) fuel pump rebuild question

Cap'n Chaos

Petty Officer 1st Class
1965 Evinrude 6502 6HP

My Evinrude was stalling during slow trolling and didn't want to restart (neither of which is normal), bulb was firm when I tried to pump it... removed cowling and smelled gas...

My fuel pump is leaking from behind the fuel filter cap gasket (the screw is tight) I suspect that gasket is bad. The fuel pump tests ok from what I've read about testing them.
(Removed plug wires and grounded, removed supply line to carb and pull starter rope... fuel pulsed, repeat, fuel pulsed. I noticed there was no leak this time.)

My question is: Should I replace just the bad gasket or rebuild the whole pump?

I bought a fuel pump kit 18-7823 which replaces the old OMC # 393088

I found this for reference, but the kit now is nothing like the kit shown.
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Rebuilding_fuelpump.htm

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: (manual) fuel pump rebuild question

I would rebuild the pump I would also replace the fuel lines and the plastic cap, and screen while I was at it also.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: (manual) fuel pump rebuild question

My 9.5 HP was doing the same thing. I realized after rebuilding the fuel pump that it wasn't the gasket that was leaking. There was a hairline crack in the filter cap that was leaking. I took a soldering iron and ran it along the crack, essentially welding the plastic back together. It has worked ever since. I'm assuming the crack developed from the PO over tightening the thumb screw on the filter cap.