need new shifter cable

Daddypleo

Seaman
I love the fact that the tech's that read these posts don't ridicule you for ignorance.

When I bought my Angler boat with the Johnson 33 on it, the shifter cable was broke off at the console. The guy I bought it from was using a pair of vice grips to shift with :facepalm:

Now I need to replace the cable. I looked in iboats marine store and it says I need to purchase OMC Cont.Cable, Pre '79, 8' - Teleflex Marine part# CC17008. My question is what else do I need? Does this come with the ends to hook it up or are there any accessories that must be purchased to complete this hookup?
I called the local marine dealer here and they mentioned something about a special connector to put on the end of the cable to attach it to the motor.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: need new shifter cable

Sounds like the connector for the engine end is there if you are shifting it with vice grips. Open up the contro; box and see if the other connector is still in there, might be if he just broke the cable. If you have both connectors, it's just a matter of replacing the cable.

Daddypleo

Seaman
Re: need new shifter cable

The control box (except for the throttle cable) is empty. I looked inside and the gear shift lever has a large hole approx. half inch in it. I'm assuming that the cable attaches there but it must have a big end on it. That's what I don't know about, that is, whether or not the purchase of the cable from iboats has the proper ends that I need for my engine. The picture is a drawing, not a photo, so I can't tell.