4 hp Johnson recoil starter help...

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model #4W69B this starter was working fine then out of the blue it won't recoil and I can see metal shavings... I have never dealt with this type of starter any advice would be helpful..

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG-20110802-00268.jpg
    IMG-20110802-00268.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 1

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 4 hp Johnson recoil starter help...

That spring is a pain in the ***, got it though. This motor has been sitting for 8 yrs, got her fired up. runs good but I hear a miss, gonna get some new plugs and see if that helps.

Rick.

Captain

The miss could possibly be a sneeze. If you think it could try enriching the slow speed needle a bit at a time. The re-coil is a bit of work as are they all. The factory service manual has a good section on the re-coil. Best of luck. Rick.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agreed , the OEM factory service manual has good info on repairing the starter plus other good info on probs you'll have down the road.

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So here's the scenario, this motor is my neighbors. He told me its just been sitting for 8 yrs. Ive broken that spring a few times already and now Ive decided to get a new one and install. I understand I should have the factory manual, but I dont own this motor and Im just not ready to buy a manual.. Is there a trick to installing the new one?? Also, it runs pretty good - getting it started is another story. I dont think I should have to pull that sucker more than three times to start, right now thats not the case. I can only assume the carb needs a cleaning. Can carb cleaner be used as it runs similar to a car?? I really dont want to start tearing something apart that isnt mine if you know what I mean.

Thanks again guys@!!!

hidef

Lieutenant

If you are installing a new spring then rebuilding the starter is a piece of cake. Trying to reuse the old spring is a pain the rear but still it is pretty easy to do. If the three plastic bushings are fine you can reuse them if not replace them also buy a new length of starter rope while your at it. Take the starter apart and soak all the parts in paint thinner to clean all the old grease out of it. You will want to relube everything as you are reassembling. This is a dirty job by the way. Cut yourself a wood wedge about 7 inches long 3" at the fat end. You will also need a drill bit to fit into the casting that holds the pinion gear that engages the flywheel. You will also need to remove the spark plugs prior to installing the starter. Wrap the starter rope around the pulley going clockwise as it would be installed on the motor and secure it with a rubber band. Assembly the starter with the spring dangling out the back don't worry you will wind it after the starter is back on the engine. Place the drill bit in the casting and using the wedge push the pinion gear against the flywheel so that it is tight. Using a socket on the flywheel nut turn the flywheel clockwise the spring will start to wind into the starter. Keep winding until the spring is tight. Once the spring is wound tight cut rubber band and pull the starter cord through the faceplate and secure the handle to the starter cord. Now remove the wood wedge and drill bit. Now your starter is rebuilt.

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what Im looking for, visualizing it will be a bit tricky. Here is where my confusion starts, when I install the spring I am going to attach it to the center of the puller and leave the rest of the spring dangling out through the assembly?? Then like you explained turn the flywheel to wind it?

hidef

Lieutenant

Yep that is what your are going to do.

Sea Raider I

Petty Officer 2nd Class

When I get to the end of the wind is the spring supposed to wind all the way into the housing?

hidef

Lieutenant

There is a catch for it half way up the back of the starter as you look at the photo of it.

Miron

Recruit

Lads,
Thanks for the post, I've run into the same problem with rewinding the spring. The pics and advice will help, I'll let you know how it goes.