Excessive Exhaust Smoking

wright74012

Cadet
I know that exhaust smoke is good to see, to let you know your getting oil to the motor. But if it smokes excessively then what does that mean? When I putt down the cove I leave a stream of smoke! I think that I am killing all the fish in my path! LOL

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Excessive Exhaust Smoking

The year and model number of your outboard would help us to determine if you have a problem.

hidef

Lieutenant

Check your all of your fuel lines for an air leak.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is that a VRO engine??

wright74012

Cadet

I have noticed that when I pump my fuel bulb it never gets hard, does that mean I have a air leak somewhere?

willamettejeff

Chief Petty Officer

I have noticed that when I pump my fuel bulb it never gets hard, does that mean I have a air leak somewhere?

Maybe bad fuel bulb or a carb float valve that is not fully sealing. Excessive smoke may mean you are running rich which would be the case if the carb float valve is not working properly. With engine not running, should be able to pump fuel bulb until it get hard.

-- Jeff

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

VRO (variable ratio oiling) and its derivatives are engines in which you have an oil tank and the oil and gas are mixed automatically. If there is an air leak in the fuel lines your engine will get much more oil than needed and smoke a lot more.

One sign of an air leak is a primer bulb that will not firm up. . .it is pumping air. Leaks occur in the gas line fittings and in the fuel pump.

Good luck. :)

wright74012

Cadet

So I should just check at all my fuel hose connection points? Do fuel lines come in different sizes or are the all standard?