water pump test????

jamie alcock

Recruit
I inherited a 1973 2 hp evinrude mate and I can't tell if the water pump is working. Should water be "spitting out" the exhaust or is there another opening I'm missing? How long does it usually take for the thermostat to open and how long can I test it without doing damage?\
Thanks in advance,
Jamie

kfa4303

Banned
Re: water pump test????

It should start spitting immediately. If it doesn't pump water, after literally 2-3sec. kill it, or you risk overheating. Are you running it in a test tank or muffs? I would run it in a tank, if at all possible. Fill the water up to about and inch or two below the exhaust port. A trash can or 5 gal bucket should be fine. Did you change the impeller recently? If so, perhaps the copper water uptake tube didn't get seated back on top of the waterpump housing. It's a pretty common problem and easy to fix. There way also be an obstruction somewhere in the system. You can check by dropping the LU and flush the system using a garden hose. try some of these and report back.

Check out this vid. It will show you what to expect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU71oEH6c0Q

kbait

Commander

I think that one has 4 or 6 small holes in back where cooling water is pushed out by exhaust gasses. There may not be much mistin out, and none coming out at slow idle and your motor could still be cooling correctly. Test in a barrel, with the water level OVER the water pump (not self priming) and run it. Idle slow and touch the base of the spark plug or next to it on the cylinder head. You should be able to keep your finger there for a couple seconds. If it gets hotter, and you splash some water on the head and it boils, you are overheating. If you can idle slow for 10 minutes and it doesn't overheat, it's functioning. Even w/new impeller, you may only get a spritz out of those holes at low idle. Just make sure it's cooling and go fish!
Good luck.

richdavis69

Cadet

pull the lower end and check impeller its only two bolts and the linkage if so equipped with forward and reverse remove shaft from motor , remove impeller cover inspect watch for keyway . replace if necessary. make certain tubes line up inside. I alway inspect impellers on any newly aquired motor just to know condition, doesnt matter if it runs or not if it wont cool. Too many people run them dry. Also when lover unit is off inspect waterways with air nozzle and compressor to insure passages are clear. I had a mud dobber decide to make his home in one

richdavis69

Cadet

also a good practice to leave choke closed when not in use if not equipped with foam air filter. Helps keep bugs and stuff from nesting in carb. Just get in the habbit of pulling choke to kill motor and tada

RogersJetboat454

Commander

I inherited a 1973 2 hp evinrude mate and I can't tell if the water pump is working. Should water be "spitting out" the exhaust or is there another opening I'm missing? How long does it usually take for the thermostat to open and how long can I test it without doing damage?\
Thanks in advance,
Jamie

Welcome to Iboats.

If you've inherited this engine, chances are you don't know how old the impeller is, and it should be replaced regardless if it's working or not.

Impellers are maintenance items that should be replaced every 2-3 years, especially if they have seen salt water.

According to Evinrude, the Evinrude part number for an impeller kit for you engine is 385897, seen here;
http://shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=al68oj3sbk3tt8aht4sa73n6i5&catalog_id=0&siteid=1

Couldn't find an equivalent here at Iboats, but found this;
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/119638.cfm

Looks like a small price to pay to keep your new friend cool and running. ;)

jamie alcock

Recruit

Thanks, everyone for all your help! My 2 hp Mate spits water rather nicely and I can touch the head for a few seconds (water and my hand neither boil or burn). I will be ordering a new water water pump to keep her cool. This is my first time on this site and I'm amazed at how helpful everyone is!!!!!
Thanks again,
Jamie Alcock