Going wrong direction

Curdawg

Recruit
I have a 1979 evinrude outboard that I just replaced the lower unit w/a 1980 lower unit and now when I put it in forward I go in reverse and visa-versa. I need help to figure out what I could have done wrong!!!

Re: Going wrong direction

First off, what size engine? Second, are you positive the lower unit you have is a 1980?

I can think of two likely possibilities (neither of which involves you doing anything wrong). For 2 or 3 years around '76 OMC made hydraulic shift assist gearcases where the actual shifting was accomplished through the use of an oil pump inside the gearcase, the shift rod wend down to go into forward. OR you got your hands on a counter rotating lower unit (again, shift rod goes down to shift into forward).

On "normal" gearcases you'd pull the shift rod up, rotate the driveshaft clockwise (looking down at the gearcase), and the prop will rotate clockwise as viewed from the rear.

One word of warning, my experience is with V4's and V6's. Since you didn't specify what engine you have you'll have to suffer through reading my reply even if it's not pertinent.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

You could get the opposite rotation prop.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral

Some different year lower units don't swap w/o changing the topside linkage also.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

The 77 and older lower units shift backwards from the 1978 and later ones. It's unlikely you have one of those, as the older belcrank versions have a different shift rod connector on top-which won't adapt easily to your 79.