1987 88 hp spl timing

Afzape

Seaman Apprentice
My engine is running a little rough. I cleaned the carbs, put in new plugs and checked for spark. Everything is good so far, but I am still getting a little bit of a rough idle and not running to full power at WOT like it used to. At idle it will kind of kick/miss just a little. I was thinking the timing may have goten off just a little over the years.

I read the link in the top secret file, but I was having trouble understanding some of it. Mainly because I am not familiar with the parts of the engine that involve timing. Can someone post a picture of the parts mentioned in the timing link on the top secret page? Does anyone have a picture of how they rigged a spark tester to 7/16" gap. I just used mine like normal to test if I had spark or not.

DargelJohn

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1987 88 hp spl timing

My engine is running a little rough. I cleaned the carbs, put in new plugs and checked for spark. Everything is good so far, but I am still getting a little bit of a rough idle and not running to full power at WOT like it used to. At idle it will kind of kick/miss just a little. I was thinking the timing may have goten off just a little over the years.

I read the link in the top secret file, but I was having trouble understanding some of it. Mainly because I am not familiar with the parts of the engine that involve timing. Can someone post a picture of the parts mentioned in the timing link on the top secret page? Does anyone have a picture of how they rigged a spark tester to 7/16" gap. I just used mine like normal to test if I had spark or not.

You can also use the spark plug from the #1 cylinder. Use a large alligator clip to ground the connected plug. Main purpose is to allow the #1 Ignition coil to discharge at the correct time, so the timing light will read correctly.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 88 hp spl timing

An intermittent miss at idle may be a "lean sneeze." A fairly common problem. That's actually a carburetion issue-not ignition. The idle passagesways inside the carbs may be slightly restricted, causing a lean condition. That lean condition will result in a miss at idle every few seconds. To correct this condition, you need to overhaul the carbs, paying close attention cleaning the carb idle passages.