OLD OMC Coils are all basically the same? experts help.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi
I have a 1954 rude bigtwin 25 hp I'm trying to get running I pulled the flywheel and the coils were rotten ,cracked etc. I had a old stator plate from a 10 hp ? Buccaneer from around the same vintage and the coils almost look new, are these older type OMC coils all the same? I installed them and they fit and I have spark, I have not ran the engine as I'm trying to convert the fuel pump to the single hose set up (much harder than I thought on a 25 hp) If you follow duckworks advise and don't use the mukini pump for 25 & up? still researching this?? any help appreciated.

kb

lindy46

Captain
Re: OLD OMC Coils are all basically the same? experts help.

Johnson-Evinrude-Gale coils were the same from early '50s through mid-'70s for the two cylinder models.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

OMC used universal coils in most of their motors starting about 1951...so you are good to go as long as the coils you found/used are good.

kodibass

Master Chief Petty Officer

OMC used universal coils in most of their motors starting about 1951...so you are good to go as long as the coils you found/used are good.

thank you! Yeh I don't know the histrory on the ones I have, but they do look almost like they just came out of a package.

freddyray21

Commander

if they look good chances are they are good. the old coils always failed and the newer ones seldom did.