Late 70s Evinrude 115 hp will run on hose but not in water, will not come out of hole

adam.fresh2def

Recruit
I have an Evinrude 115 on my pontoon boat. It will start and idle on the hose but in the water it has trouble starting at first and will not throttle, even dies when being dropped in gear but will start right back up. If you baby the throttle it will get to WOT but takes a minute at least. I couldnt figure it out so I took it to the local mechanic and he hasnt figured it out either. I was reading the other day on this forum about leaking water jackets or water sleeves in the exhaust? Any ideas on that, the mechanic did say that there was water in the carbs when he removed them to clean them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

PNW Driver

Seaman
Re: Late 70s Evinrude 115 hp will run on hose but not in water, will not come out of

Water in the carbs? I would guess water in your gas. I would check the tank and lines. Do you have a separator installed?

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: Late 70s Evinrude 115 hp will run on hose but not in water, will not come out of

You need to check the compression and verify the spark on all 4 cylinders using a spark tester.

emdsapmgr

Supreme Mariner

Check for ignition spark on all 4 spark plugs when in the lake. Any 4 cylinder engine will run on 2 or 3 cyls on the trailer and sound fine. It's when you dump it into the lake and the prop gets buried under 20" of water-you need all 4 plugs to spark properly to keep it running.

J.J

Cadet

Hi, I would also check the fuel pump and fuel lines and connectors for vacume air leaks.