1973 Evinrude 115 HP wont start when warm!!!!!!! Please Help

ssgjones321

Recruit
I have a 1973 Evinrude 115 HP. When cold i have to play with the chock but starts after 5-6 tries i can run for 2-3 hrs at WOT with no problems but if i shut it off I can get it to idle for 5-10 then stalls and wont start and run.. I can drive from lake to house about an Hr drive and put muffs on motor and it will start and run fine.. Any idease would be thankful..:confused:

Thanks Again

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: 1973 Evinrude 115 HP wont start when warm!!!!!!! Please Help

Have you checked to see if you are loosing spark when it won't start hot? Could be carbs leaking fuel when you shut it off and flooding the engine. You're going to do some investigating.

ssgjones321

Recruit

I haven't checked spark, i was on lake twice when this happen had to get towed both times didn't have any testers.. I did the Sea Foam cleaning at home like recommended in the forums and the motor ran for about 2 hrs then i shut it off waited about 5-10 min and it started right back up so is running it on muffs or not at WOT not getting it warm enough to cause the problem because the only time it has happened is on the lake..

Thanks

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Basically you are going to check it out when the problem occurs. Take some tools and go for a boat ride. Maybe a friend that has a boat will go along, or see if you can borrow a small kicker engine in case it lets you down again.

ssgjones321

Recruit

Thanks Daviet I will try it out and test and post results

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Keep us informed.

ssgjones321

Recruit

may be a little while to check i only have weekends off and have military drill this weekend but i will keep you informed

ssgjones321

Recruit

Bad news took the boat out this weekend it started like normal... then the steering cable broke about 100 ft from the ramp..WOW boat does stand for "brake out another thousand"...LOL