1974 Johnson 6hp 6R74C problems

dog boy

Recruit
I purchased a used 1974 6hp Johnson motor that seemed to run fine in a 5 gallon bucket. I tried the motor and it seems to have little power or speed for my 12ft jon boat. I had an old 3.9 Merc on it before that did a lot better. I found that the old and worn 2 blade prop was not correct and put a new 3 blade on and it barely moves and chokes the engine out. I put new plugs on the motor with no change in performance. I pulled the plugs and found water spray coming out of the lowre plug hole. Both cylinders have spark. I did run the motor on the top cylinder with the lower plug out but it sprayed a lot of water. I called the seller and left a message but haven't heard back yet. I this something common with this engine that can be fixed?

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral
Re: 1974 Johnson 6hp 6R74C problems

You have a serious problem if water is spraying out of the lower spark plug hole. It could be the head gasket, exhaust cover gasket, or inner exhaust cover, among other things.

dog boy

Recruit

Thanks for the input. I wasn't real happy when I saw this. I ordered the head gasket and two exhaust gaskets. I will be taking it apart to get a better look. I found the head bolt torque is 60-80 in/lb. Is there a torque setting for the exhaust cover? Thanks.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

24-36 inch-pounds.
I'd re-torque both the head and the exhaust cover after running it for a bit. Hopefully the inner exhaust cover is not shot.