1998 Johnson 200 Venom Oil Problems

cbaker10

Cadet
I just recently bought a used boat that is equipped with a 1998 Johnson Venom. The boat and motor is in excellent condition, however I am having some issues with the motor. For one, after I start it, it doesn't want to idle very good. It's like it just chokes out and dies. If I put it in gear to the first notch, it still want run real well without giving it a little extra fuel ever now and then, kind of having to play with it. When running at any other speed above idle, it does great. I would appreciate any advice on what to check first and so on.

The other problem is, this past weekend I was running down the lake and I started to slow down as I reached my fishing spot. As the boat came off of plane, the low oil light and buzzer came on. I immediately killed the engine. The oil resovoir was at least half full if not three quarters. I trolled all the way back to the ramp afraid to run the engine. I would greatly appreciate any guesses on what might cause this and also could there be any damage from oil starvation since I immediately shut the engine off?

cub48

Seaman
Re: 1998 Johnson 200 Venom Oil Problems

The same thing happen to me last week I have a 1998 faststrike 150 was running up river and my low oil light light and buzzer came on. I shut down checked everything looked ok started back up never came on again. Was talking to a couple guys at the dock but did not tell them about the light going off his boat was a stratos like mine with same engine he had a new foot put on and he was telling me about his VRO going out and burning the motor up.So that got me thing 13 year old VRO i am going to start premixing just to be on the safe side. Oh check the little roller on the carb linkage it is on the drivers side of the engine it had a clear outer sleeve on it that cracks and breaks off the inner roller will still be on there this will cause idle problems and a lag at lite throttle. Runs fine after plane out they are around ten dollars. Mine was broke half of clear sleeve was still on and half was gone. Read my thread 150 faststrike johnson premixing one of the guys tells me the way to disconnect everything Cub48

cbaker10

Cadet
Re: 1998 Johnson 200 Venom Oil Problems

Ok, thanks for the reply. I will check into that. Is there any chance that the two issues could be related and maybe caused by a bad VRO pump, or do they having nothing to do with each other. I read somewhere that the same pump pulls both gas and oil so I thought maybe that could fix both problems. What do you think?