1959 Evinrude 10hp....Convert to single line or buy ebay pressurized tank?

Toobs360

Cadet
Just bought a 59 evinrude 10 hp. I didn't realize it was going to need a double fuel line/pressurized fuel tank. I read up on pressurized tanks and not sure if it's a safe option after reading:

Problems with Pressurized Fuel Tanks:

Gasoline and Gas Vapor under pressure is nothing less than a bomb!

It is difficult to get these tanks to seal properly, even when new. If the tanks leaks, gas and oil will escape into your boat and into the air.

Leaky tanks also loose needed pressure to deliver fuel up the long hose back to the motor.

If you have a scored cylinder, these motors could sneeze (fire within the block) and force pressure down the fuel line and into the tank. This has been known to cause the caps to blow off the thank and shoot up 20 feet into the air! This sneezing can also ignite your fuel tank. This has also been known to cause fuel lines to rupture.

If you are out on the water and your tank fails to hold pressure, the only way to run your motor is to hold the tank up above the level of the tank and let fuel gravity feed to the motor.

These tanks were not simple to operate. You have to pressurize the tank with a hand pump before you can start your motor. You also have to depressurize the tank before taking the cap off.

Is this over exaggeration or is it simply not safe? Also does it have to be brand specific or will any pressurized tank fit?

I'd love to do the conversion to a single line but I'm Not going to lie, my knowledge of boat motors consists of "pull here, turn there," so any help would be very appreciated. I just want to get her in the water sooooo bad.

Thanks in advance guys and gals

0086.jpg

kfa4303

Banned
Re: 1959 Evinrude 10hp....Convert to single line or buy ebay pressurized tank?

Hi Toobs. I would convert it to a single line set up. It's not that hard and you can do it yourself. Lots of threads here and else where that can walk you through it. You can the parts right here at iboats. I responded to your other thread with a How-to link and vid. Keep us posted. Sweet little motor you got there. Good luck.

Toobs360

Cadet

HI Kfa! Thanks for the info, going to watch video in a second. Was wondering, IF (and thats a big if) I should decide to to the pressurized tank, does it have to be brand/hp specific? or will any one do?

kfa4303

Banned

I would stick with OMC brand (Johnson/Evinrude) if at all possible. Other brands may not even work. I know Johnson and Mercury, for exampl, use different types of fittings and fasteners. One of the advantages of converting to a modern single line system is that there are a lot more tanks and fittings available. Granted, they don't look that cool and are generally made of plastic, but they're durable and fairly cheap. That being said, lots of folks still run pressurized tanks without issue, but stick with same brand as the motor. Good luck. Keep us posted.

lindy46

Captain

I'd look for a good, rust-free pressure tank. I've run them for years and have had no problems. Actually, in good shape, they are sealed units and no gas vapors escape to the air, unlike a vented tank. And you don't have the worry of having a fuel pump go bad.

lindy46

Captain

Incidentally, not sure what that 2 line connector is on your motor. Not the standard Johnnyrude connector.

coolguy147

Commander

i've had no problem with the pressure tank

just keep the cap open a little to relieve the pressure when not in use.

nwcove

Admiral

toobs, i went through the same dilema with my 1957 5.5.....to convert, or not convert. i decided on keeping it original. i did read all the stuff on the cons about pressurized tanks, and almost converted, but im glad i didnt, motor works great, no gas fumes, all is good. (if you decide to stay with the oe setup, and have trouble with the quick connect set up, there is another option for the dual line to motor connection.......standard hydraulic/air line quick connects work just fine on my motor)

Toobs360

Cadet

Ok guys, it was driving me nuts, but I've decided I'm going to the conversion. The deciding factor was the fact that I had a hell of a time trying to find pressurized dual line tanks whereas the single line tanks are a dime a dozen. Found this link http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repair.com/Johnson/Pressureized Fuel Tanks.htm and it seems pretty easy. I just bought a Mikuni Pulse fuel pump off of Amazon....will let you guys know how it goes.

Toobs360

Cadet

Problem solved without converting or buying a pressure tank....sold it to a collector :) Bought an 1983 9.9hp Johnson....though today's adventure with the johnson wasn't the greatest. Thanks for the help/advice everyone.