1970 Johnson 6hp - Do I need a rebuild? Compression, piston play, crank play...

Sandor27

Seaman
I have a '70 6hp that was running pretty good, but seemed like it should have more on HP at WOT on my 11' jon. So I did spark check. Would only jump 1/4" gap at most. Bought new coils/points/condensors and have installed onto mag plate, but not run yet.

Have cleaned carb including under welch plug and all orifices. All new seals there, new float. Have not run yet since cleaning.

Compression on cold engine checks at 60T/60B, a teaspoon of motor oil in each cylinder raised this to 90T/95B. Does this tell me anything? (checked with cordless drill and 3/4 socket to spin crank, no plugs installed during test)

I have the powerhead off to replace head gasket to hopefuly improve compression. Of note is that the pistons have play on the wristpins/con rods such that I can rotate them CW and CCW slightly. Should they be perfectly stiff rotationally? This is illustrated in the 1st pic. I can rotate back and forth about 20mils (0.020 inch) on both pistons measured at the edge.

Cyl walls look good and shiny, no large scratches or anything.

Also crank can be pulled in and out axially about 10mils. See 2nd pic. Is this normal?

This motor has umpteen hundred hours on it as a trolliing motor, was never run WOT in its previous life.

Should I split the head and what should I be looking for to determine what needs replacing.

Where can I get "Sealer 1000" that my OEM manual calls out? Use 3M 847?

Thanks!

Sandor

Attachments

• Pistons.jpg
    Pistons.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Axial play.jpg
    Axial play.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 2

hidef

Lieutenant
Re: 1970 Johnson 6hp - Do I need a rebuild? Compression, piston play, crank play...

I would not tear that engine apart any further. You compression is good and the cylinders look very good. I would put everything back together and run it. Remember this is only a 6 horse it should plain your boat but it isn't going to be speed demon.

wilde1j

Vice Admiral
Re: 1970 Johnson 6hp - Do I need a rebuild? Compression, piston play, crank play...

You're probably wasting your time. 6 HP is 6 HP, so you're not going to get world beater performance out of it. If you want more go power, get a bigger motor. BTW, always running at low power settings and never @ WOT isn't great for a motor, since you're never giving it a chance to dump carbon buildup.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

i had 6hp 72" and copresion was 80psi.motor runs good but not as should.

i would put apart powerhead and change rings, upper seal, and look into upper bearings.
its not dificult job,but while taking apart be careful to not loose needles from conecting rod and central needle bearing