Engine Dies instantly as if kill switch was triggered

jason027

Cadet
I bought a 1997 35 evinrude 3 cylinder outboard this spring. The problem I am having is the engine will be going along just fine and then VERY suddenly die (not sputter, not slowly rev down - i mean die exactly as if the saftey/kill switch was thrown). The other strange thing is, it usually only does this when under load - meaning if it is just me it is usually fine, but when I pile some people in the boat, the odds of it happening increase. The odds also increase when I punch it (although it has happened at lower throttle too). Here is what I have found so far... I started by jostling the key and safety around while driving to rule out a loose connection - could not make it die that way. I then opened up the controls and disconnected the black and yellow lead from the ignition. At first it seemed to work - but eventually i was able to make it die. i followed the wiring harness and found that at the juncture where the controller connects to the engine there was melting between 2 pins where it looked like it had been arcing (it was the black and yellow pin and the one beside it (yellow and red as i recall). thinking I solved the issue, I hardwired these 2 wires bypassing the connector but this did not fix the issue. I then started the boat and unhooked the wiring harness (the second one from the top containing the black and yellow wire) directly on the engine itself (thereby bypassing the entire wiring harness completely). This also did not fix it. I then noticed a split plug wire (so i replaced all 3 plugs and wires) - not fixed. I also noticed that the group of wires leading into the top of the oil reservoir was worn bare due to rubbing on the cowl. thinking this could be arcing and triggering a low oil warning, i disconnected that wiring harness completely - not fixed. This engine has a speaker which i believe is supposed to give warnings but I am not hearing any - can't be sure it is working mind you. Most people think it is fuel related, but the suddenness with which it dies seems more like electrical - but i am looking for any tips at this point. Could a fuel issue kill the engine this suddenly? thanks in advance.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral
Re: Engine Dies instantly as if kill switch was triggered

What do you have to do to get the engine restarted? I would check spark as soon as the engine stops and see if I had good spark.

jason027

Cadet

It usually starts right back up again immediately after. Occassionally it takes a few tries but this is the exception. Any way to test if the alarms are working - like a way to force an alarm?

fireman57

Captain

Are you sure that your fuel tank is vented?

Ibl0wstuffup

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like fuel starvation to me.

jason027

Cadet

re fuel starvation, i can pull the fuel line right off, and when it dies, it is by no means instant. Can starvation really result in immediate engine shut down?

jason027

Cadet

and yes - ensured tank is vented

ranger23

Recruit

you can ground alarm wires with key on to check for warning buzzer

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Are you still using the orginial oil system on this mtr or mixing fuel 50:1 ??

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

when the engine dies instantly without any sputtering i would not say its fuel related- so no fuel lines or tank vent or wrong mixture.

my guess would be ignition which suddenly quits when warm and kicks in again when cooled a little bit. of course- when its true that the engine dies like you would trigger the kill switch.

jason027

Cadet

any way to test your ignition theory? p.s. - i am using original oil injection and it works fine - earlier Evinrudes had issues (like the very first year or two of the oil injection systems) They fixed that issue in later models like mine.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Do yourself a favor and take the cap off of the oil tank and see if it smells like gas.

jason027

Cadet

i smelled the oil tank and it does not smell like gas. What was i looking for here?

hidef

Lieutenant

You have an electrical issue you just haven't found it yet. I have a E35QLED I have experienced issues similar to yours although mine are now fixed. Mine was the voltage regulator and a bad wire in the sensor/kill wire harness at the back of the engine.

First though the oil injection system for the compact triple 35 and 35 is garbage. While OMC fixed the issues with the VRO system after the first two years the system on the small triples is a whole different animal. While the concept of the OMS system used in the triples is great the execution and design was not. The check valves that allow the oil to flow into the mixing chamber but keep gas from going into the oil tank have a high failure rate. The OMC/BRP fix for this was to remove the oil tank and mixing chamber and go to 50:1 premix. The parts for OMS system including the tank, sensor and the mixing chamber itself are all NLA (No Longer Available). Do your self a favor remove the tank and the mixing chamber and connect the fuel hose running to the carbs directly to the fuel filter. Mix your fuel at 50:1 The Sytem Check gauge will still function but it will only report on over heating once the sensor for the oil/low oil has been removed.

You most likely have a wire shorting out in the sensor harness that wraps around the back of the engine to the power pack. The yellow and black kill wire is also in this harness. Here are some other things to check too.

Your horn does beep at start up? If not it is bad change it out.
You said you disconnected the plug with the yellow and black wire running into the power pack on the left side and it still had issues? Or did you disconnect it on the right side where all the modular connectors are? If you did at the power pack remove the two yellow wire running into the voltage regulator. If that fixes it then the voltage regulator is bad. If you didn't disconnect it at the power pack try it there if it fixes it your issue is a bad wire under the cowl.

Basically you want to follow the trouble shooting steps from the CDI guide starting on page 57. It is for the V4s with OIS2000 ignition follow the steps it will work for you I know I went through the same issues you are having. CDI doesn't have a guide for the small triples unfortunately. Also if you don't have a service manual get the OMC/BRP manual don't mess with the Seloc or Clymers.

boobie

Supreme Mariner

Agree with the above, especially about removeing the oil tank and mixing 50:1. Save your P/H.

jason027

Cadet

thought i would let u all know what the fix was... it was a bad power pack. thanks for all the help.