99 Johnson 50 HP Outboard Cold Start Problem

time2kil

Recruit
Hey Folks,

First time poster in need of some expertise out there. Last weekend I went up to my lake camp with some friends and we all went to go for a boat ride when low and behold, the boat just cranked and would not start. 12 years of reliability out the window! Ha! So we began the necessary steps to diagnose the problem, checked for fuel, spark, etc. and came to the conclusion that the primer solenoid must not be working properly. Due to it being in the water, I have not checked for power to the solenoid yet cause I did not have a test light and I'm pulling the boat out this weekend to work on it. I am in the automotive field so I have plenty of mechanical backround but boats are a foreign area for me. I was wondering if there are others with this similar issue and what they did to fix the problem. I'm hoping there is a common denominator out there. BTW, while diagnosing, my engine cover went in the drink along with all my tools so if anyone has a cover for sale, I'm ur guy!! gonna try and dive for it this weekend but if i dont find it, I'm screwed!! Any help would be appreciated, Thanks!!

Rick.

Captain
Re: 99 Johnson 50 HP Outboard Cold Start Problem

In a quiet setting you should hear the primer solenoid kick in when you push in the key. Pull the primer hoses off the (carbs. on mine) and see if they squirt gas when supposed to. If that checks fine the do a spark gap test. Best of luck. Rick.

time2kil

Recruit

Thanks Rick! I'm gonna do that very test when I arrive tomorrow at the lake. What I wanted to know also, is it common place for the plunger to get stuck in the solenoid? I'm gonna check for juice to the solenoid and then perform the test that you speak of, but it seems like it's dumping fuel constant.

time2kil

Recruit

Also wanted to mention that when I disconnect the fuel line, she'll fire up, I reconnect the fuel line and she'll purr like a kitten. All systems go once she's started! This eliminates the carb or fuel pump as being an issue. It's just that initial cold start. Also, once warm, I can kill the motor and restart without any problems just as long as the motor is warm still.

Rick.

Captain

I might be coming from left field here but I had the same symptoms last year with my 2995-40Hp. I thought it was the primer dumping too much fuel, then I thought the carbs. were too rich flooding the motor. Truth of the matter was it was my power pack on it's way out. Lots of frustration/embarrassment at the launch and in the end it always started but harder and harder as the days got colder. Sometimes it would fire on one cylinder and after a minute the other would kick in again leading me to think the cylinder was flooded. Last time out in the late fall and a very cold day it would not start at all. Every time I pulled the plugs they looked too wet and I kept thinking flooding. In the fall I rebuilt the carbs. and checked my primer for proper operation and though I was good. Come late spring when I went to check timing I discovered that at first start I had no spark. If I cranked it long enough I would eventually get spark. So I took it to a service tech. and he did the CDI ignition troubleshooting procedure and determined it was the power pack. I changed it and my motor has started like a dream since then. Now I'm not suggesting you run out and get a power pack. I am suggesting before cranking your motor to do any other checks do a spark gap test on your plug wires to confirm you have strong spark when motor is at it's coldest. It may well be your primer causing your problem, I don't know. But the primer is very simple in design and function and looking back I really doubt they fail very often. Let me know how it goes. Rick.

time2kil

Recruit

UPDATE:

OK, boat is back in the water and running like a champ!! Ended up being the primer solenoid. Just plain stopped working. Had power going to it but wasnt engaging the plunger to release fuel to the carbs. $170 dollar fix. Thanks to Rick for responding to my post and thanks to iboats.com for a terrific place to work out our problems!!

P.S. Hired a diver to retrieve my engine cover and I fished for all my tools with a high powered magnet!!

Rick.

Captain

All is well that ends well. Did the diver only find the one cowl? LOL. Rick.