'88 Evinrude 60hp loss of power/vacuum?

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I have an '88 60hp with the vro bypassed that was experiencing a slight pulse type bog at wot every once in a while, but would cruise/idle just fine. However this past weekend it ran fine until heading in at the end of the day and all of a sudden it would barely even idle. The bulb was softer than normal. I got it to idle finally by pumping the primer bulb, which would lead me to fuel pump, except that I just had someone rebuild the fuel pump. On top of that after pumping the bulb and idling for about 15 minutes the bulb became firmer and the motor smoothed out. I was then able to run up on plane and it ran great rest of the day, about another hour of running at variable speeds. The mechanic intended to put on a new fuel pump but decided to rebuild it instead, I have no idea why and I have not been able to get him on the phone. Additionally it has had all fuel lines from tank to carbs replaced including new primer bulb, all carbs rebuilt with complete kits including needle/seat, link-n-sync, timing adjusted, new plugs, new wires, spark checked, racor 10-micron fuel filter installed with the little clear bowl on the bottom, compression 128 on all 3 cyl, new water pump...initially I took it to the mechanic because it wouldn't run past idle at all. It has been great for a couple months now, I use it almost every weekend. Then this hiccup!!!
Anyhow, a friend of mine said he had a vacuum leak that would act up at various times on his '94 115 johnson. I realize these are two VERY different motors, but is this something I should look into? Any other suggestions are very welcome as I just want the thing to be reliable.
I have also looked for a non-vro replacement fuel pump, does anyone have a part number for it? On evinrude parts store it said 433388, however it is not available? Then on another parts site it says 438557 superceeds 433388, however also unavailable...is there a sierra or malory number?
Thanks!

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: '88 Evinrude 60hp loss of power/vacuum?

I'm trying to find the box my pump came in, so that I can give you the correct number. You want the three pronged pump. Bear with me.

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

That is correct. I don't want the vro pump on there at all. That's a whole new part number, I'll do a little digging when I get home.
Thanks!

renegade15

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ouch! That one's pricey...less than the vro though I guess. I was hoping to find a sierra or mallory in the $40 range, oh well, looks like my next purchase. Thanks much!

retiredfornow

Petty Officer 1st Class

That's not where I bought it at, and can't find where I got it. Think I paid $52 or something like that. Check around for better prices.