1997 Evinrude 15hp "No tell-tale sign"

Corsair29

Recruit
I have a 1997 Evinrude 15hp Model# E15REUC
It doesn't have the "tell-tale" stream of water from the engine. I've changed the water-pump, water tube,thermostat, and lower gasket(#21 on the Exhaust Housing). I placed the lower unit in water and used a drill to turn the shaft to check the operation of the pump, and it seemed to work pump water out fine.
I've attached an external water hose to the water tube to see if forcing water thru the engine will expell the water thru the vent, and it does.(engine not running)
It starts up fine, and runs good, but no water stream comes out.
Today I decided to try it out in a local river, and no joy.
After about five minutes running, the only thing that comes out of that vent is exhaust fumes, but no water.

Can you please help?
Sam

AlTn

Commander
Re: 1997 Evinrude 15hp "No tell-tale sign"

sounds like you may have an exhaust gas leak from the head gasket or exhaust gasket on the exhaust side of the powerhead...marineengine.com will have diagrams of you motor

mark1961

Ensign

I've attached an external water hose to the water tube to see if forcing water thru the engine will expell the water thru the vent, and it does.(engine not running)
It starts up fine, and runs good, but no water stream comes out.

Firstly, please clarify what you mean by "vent"......are you referring to the telltale here?

If not, did you actually get water flow from the telltale using the hose method? If you did not, you need to check that the telltale plumbing isnt plugged up with crud.....it is quite common for bugs to crawl in there and nest.

Today I decided to try it out in a local river, and no joy.
After about five minutes running, the only thing that comes out of that vent is exhaust fumes, but no water.

Can you please help?
Sam

Again, by "vent" do you mean the exhaust relief? This is the outlet near the top of the leg under the lower cowling. If so, it is normal to get a SMALL amount of exhaust and water flow from there but it wont be constant and the water wont appear when the motor is cold, its a relief after all. For the amount of time you ran it (not long) thinking you might have cooling issues its hard to say, it needs to be run for longer to know for sure if its normal, seems like it might be though.

Corsair29

Recruit

The vent that I'm refering to is the tell tale

Cofe

Lieutenant Commander

You're going to have to remove the lower unit again and verify that the water tube is in the proper areas "gromets" on the water pump and on the powerhead. Those grommets are easy to kink, or not get the water tube pushed into them correctly.

raczekp1

Lieutenant

what about overheating sigs?
can you place hand on the block?
maybe just "L"fiting to pee outlet is inside pluged?

Corsair29

Recruit

Didn't see any sign of overheating, and yes its too hot to leave your hand on it while running it. I've only ran it for no more than 2 minutes.
I've taken the head out of the main block, and I'm going to replace the the gaskets, and try this out.
It is hard to determine if the tube seats correctly in the rubber gromet feed of the water pump. I've tried going really slow reinstalling the lower unit, but it gets to the point where you can't see no more.

I've applied air pressure from the tube, and I can trace the flow going up to the side, and from there to the head.
I've looked everywhere with a flashlight and can't see any cracks.

If the exhaust was leaking through the gasket, Would the exhaust have enough pressure to stop the flow of water from the pump? Thus causing it through vent out of the tell-tale outlet? Where does the water go?

I'll keep you updated.

Corsair29

Recruit

I finally got in the power head gasket set in today, and that did the trick.

Daviet

Fleet Admiral

Glad you got your problem fixed.